thirty-four

BELLY

"So what happened to the dad?" Belly asks.

Conrad shrugs, "She didn't tell me. She just said he wasn't around."

"Whose Dad wasn't around?" Matt pipes up from the back seat.

They're in the car driving to the dinner party on Friday night. Conrad and Belly are discussing Hailey.

"Someone who works for Dad," Belly says quietly.

Henry is playing with trucks next to Matt, but Matt is nosey and has to understand what's going on.

"Her Dad isn't around?" Matt asks.

Conrad glances at Belly, "Her son's Dad isn't around."

"I don't get it," Matt frowns at Belly.

Belly turns around to look at him. Both of them are so handsome, just like their Dad. "So, you know how you have Daddy? Well, some kids aren't as lucky to have both of their parents."

"Did his Dad die?" Matt is inquisitive.

"No, he didn't die. He just isn't part of his life." Belly says softly, trying to read Matt's face.

"Well why not?"

Belly sighs, Matt is a big fan of this game. The game where he asks a million questions Belly doesn't know how to answer. "Sometimes people just don't want kids."

"Then why did he have the kid?" Matt asks, "You shouldn't have something you don't want."

"That's very true, but it's not that easy with kids. People have kids who might not be ready for one, and then it's easier for them to leave."

Matt frowns, "I still don't understand."

Conrad jumps in, "This will make more sense when you're older, Matt. Having a child is a big responsibility, but sometimes, people end up with a child by mistake. And it's the decision of both parents to raise it, but not everyone wants to raise a child. So the woman who works for me, Hailey, has a son named Mason. And Hailey really wanted to raise Mason, but Mason's dad didn't. So he left and now Hailey raises him alone."

Matt is still frowning, "That's kind of mean of his daddy."

"It is," Conrad confirms.

Belly smiles at Conrad smiles with pride, he always knows what go say.

"So you and Mommy both wanted me and Henny?" Matt asks Conrad.

Conrad pulls up outside the house and turns around to look at Matt, "We wanted you two more than anything else in the world."

Belly nods, "You two are our greatest gift."

Matt smiles, he's happy with that response and starts unbuckling himself.

Conrad smiles at Belly. Matt and Henry sprint up the steps once their out of the car. They storm into her mom's house. Conrad and Belly walk in after them.

Belly's mom's house is so nice. It's a small little 3 bedroom house on the north end of Boston. She fixed a lot of it up, everything is dark and rustic now. There's soft music playing in the family room when they walk in. Matt and Henry head straight to the basement where Belly guesses Mallory is already playing.