twenty-one

CONRAD

Conrad is sitting in the park, watching Matt run up a set of stairs and then hurl himself down a slide. Matt cheers when he gets to the bottom, and then runs over to Conrad to get his approval.

Henry is sound asleep in the stroller, and although Conrad is a little bummed he's not awake, he's happy to spend time with them.

It's almost 11:30, and Conrad is getting ready for lunch when his phone rings. He checks his watch, he's shocked to see Jeremiah's name.

"Daddy! I spilled my juice." Matt shouts from the table.

Sure enough, the front of Matt's shirt is soaked. His phone stops ringing. He's wiping up what's on the table when his phone rings again. Jeremiah.

What the hell?

"Jere, now is not—"

Jeremiah interrupts him, "You need to get to the hospital. Now." His voice is frantic and Conrad can hardly understand him.

"Slow down! I can't hear you," Conrad says sharply.

"Belly passed out, she was having some pain and then just started screaming. I don't know what's wrong but I rushed her to the hospital and now they won't let me see her because I'm not her husband" Jeremiah rushes the words out so quickly.

Conrad's heart sinks. He looks at Matt and Henry. "Jeremiah, call Laurel. I need her to come get the boys from the hospital. I'll be right there."

It takes everything in his power now not to break every traffic law. He's trying to be conscious of his children in the back, and other drivers but he can hardly keep his cool.

Is Belly okay? What happened to her? Why was she with Jeremiah? Thank God she was with Jeremiah. His mind is racing, and he just wants to see her. He needs to hold her in his arms.

Laurel is waiting in the parking lot. She has tears in her eyes, "Will you call me when you hear?"

"Of course. Thank you Laurel."

She nods and climbs into his car. Conrad races into the Emergency Room. He searches for Jeremiah frantically and ends up finding him pacing the hallway.

"Jere!" He yells.

Jeremiah's face is tear-stained. "Conrad."

They hug for a long time. In this moment, this is the only person Conrad wants. His brother.

"Has anyone said anything to you?" Conrad asks when he pulls away.  He wipes his face with his sleeve.

"No. They won't tell me." Jeremiah says quietly.

Conrad storms over to the nurses station, "I need an update on Bell — Isabel Fisher."

The nurse eyes him before typing something into her computer. "It looks like she's in surgery."

"Surgery?" Conrad booms. "What for? No one even called me!"

The nurse realizes he doesn't know what's going on, "Are you her husband?"

"Yes!"