forty-eight

BELLY

The snow is falling softly outside the window. January weather has hit Boston hard, freezing temperatures and consistent snowfall keeps everyone inside most of the time.

Matt is telling a story about the fort they made during lunch at school today. Crew is adding little bits of detail here and there about who was helping, who wasn't, and what the teachers were saying once it was finished.

Conrad is listening intently, just like he always does. Belly grabs his hand and places it on her stomach so he can feel the baby who has started kicking in the last few weeks. Conrad doesn't divert his attention from Matt and Crew, but keeps his hand on her stomach.

The baby kicks and Conrad smiles at her.

"Mom, did you hear me? Kyle said he was going to knock it down!" Matt says, his eyes wide.

"Yes I heard you, Matt. The teachers aren't going to let him do that."

Matt looks at Crew, "We'll make more snowballs tomorrow, just in case he tries."

Conrad rubs his hand across her stomach, "Boys, you will both be nice. Got it?"

They both nod.

Belly starts to say something to Henry, but there's a loud pounding on the door that makes her jump.

Conrad frowns, "Who is that?"

Belly sighs, "I don't know, I'll get it."

She gets up from the table and walks to the front door. She opens it, and the cold hits her immediately. It's nothing compared to the shock of the people waiting on the other side of the door.

"Taylor? Jason?"

Taylor smiles at Belly, "Hi Belly."

"You two can't be here," Belly says quietly, her voice trembling. She steps outside onto the porch and closes the door behind her. She feels like her might throw up.

"Belly, I have to see him," Taylor says, her voice pleading and desperate.

Belly looks at Jason, then back to Taylor, "What are you even doing with him? You signed over your rights! You told me I needed to protect Crew from Jason!"

"I was released, and Jason came to get me. We talked and we want to make a go of it, being together and being a family," Taylor's eyes search Belly's face.

The door opens behind her, "What the fuck are you two doing here?" Conrad's voice is hard.

"He's our son," Jason says sharply.

"Not anymore, not legally," Conrad takes a step in front of Belly.

"Belly, please. I know I've put you through hell but I miss him so much."

Belly looks at Taylor. She looks better than she did when Belly saw her last. Her hair is cut nicely to her shoulders and she has some highlights. She's not wearing much makeup, but somehow looks very pretty.

"No," Conrad says, his voice is even harder than before.

"You have to leave. Crew is happy here, you can't keep showing up. If you wanted him, you should have been a good parent when you had the choice," Belly says, directing her words at Taylor.