forty-five

CONRAD

They are hovering outside Crew's room. Belly is pacing anxiously, Conrad is letting her have her space.

"We have to go in, Belly."

Belly stops, "I'm so scared. What if he doesn't want us?"

Conrad reaches for her, "He'll want us."

Belly leans her head against his chest, "We're doing the right thing, right?"

"Yes."

Belly sighs, "Listening to your heartbeat always calms me down." Her voice is quiet and he can feel the vibration in his chest.

Conrad runs his fingers through her hair, "I'm right here, okay? We'll do this together."

Belly nods. Conrad takes a deep breath and opens the door. Crew is sitting with Henry, playing with Legos. Crew and Henry are 10 months apart, and the best of friends. Conrad smiles at them.

"Hen?" Belly says quietly, "Can we talk to Crew?"

Crew looks up at them, his eyes full of curiosity. Henry nods, "Okay!" Henry bounds out of the room, stopping in front of Conrad for a fist bump.

Crew watches them patiently as they sit down in front of him.

"How was school today?" Belly asks gently.

"Good!" Crew looks anxiously between the two. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, we just wanted to talk to you,"

"Is about my momma?" Crew asks softly.

Conrad exchanges a glance with Belly, "It is." Conrad says softly.

Belly reaches for Crew and he climbs into her lap. Conrad looks at the two of them, not biologically related and nothing in common looks wise, but for some reason, Crew reminds Conrad of Belly. Matt and Henry are all Conrad, always have been. But Crew, has Belly's heart somehow.

"Do you remember when you came to live with us so your mom could get better?"

"Mhmm," Crew is playing with the emerald ring on Belly's hand, the one Adam gave her after the miscarriage.

"Well, your mom is still working on getting better. So Conrad and I were hoping you would stay with us."

Crew looks at Conrad, "For how long?"

"Forever," Conrad says gently, not wanting the word to scare Crew off.

"Do I ever get to see her again?" Crew's voice is quiet as a mouse.

"Maybe, we don't really know."

Belly looks at Conrad over Crew's head. Her face is full of worry.

Conrad reaches for Crew's hand, "Crew, I know we aren't your parents, and we are not trying to replace them. But we love you, and we want to give you the very best life if you'll let us."

Crew looks at Conrad, and then cranes his neck to look at Belly.

He nods slowly, "Okay."