twenty-nine

CONRAD

Taylor's always been a problem. She was a good friend to Belly in high school, but even then, she never really rooted for Conrad and Belly. She was always on Team Jere. Which was fine, Conrad did some shitty things but Taylor was too much of a brat to realize how much Conrad truly loved Belly. She could only see what was right in front of her.

When Taylor started dating Jason, Conrad could smell trouble right out of the gate. Jason was a prick, he could hardly even make small talk with Conrad. Conrad didn't really try to either, and he didn't care to. Conrad and Jason has nothing in common, other than their girlfriends.

Belly is sound asleep with her head on his lap. He stares down at her, she looks exhausted. It'd been 3 hours since they took Matt, and Conrad wants Belly to sleep until they come out and give him good news. If she wakes up while he's still gone, she'll panic.

Conrad's head can't stop racing. He keeps picturing his mom and the last time he saw her, and Belly laying in a hospital bed after her miscarriage. It makes him want to vomit. He can hardly imagine Matt, laying on an operating table with wrist open.

It's another hour before a nurse comes out. Conrad wakes Belly gently.

"Matt's in recovery, we'll come get you in a little while. He did great."

Belly and Conrad exhale simultaneously. Conrad is so relieved, he hugs Belly as tight as he can.

They stand there, hugging for a few minutes. The stress of the last few hours washes away as they hold each other.

"Thank God," Conrad says breathlessly into Belly's neck.

They are taken to Matt's room where he's still sleeping. They sit down next to his bed and hold his uncasted hand.

It's still a while before Matt wakes up, and he's groggy when he finally opens his eyes.

"Mom?" His voice is scratchy.

"Hi baby," Belly says quietly.

Conrad's heart speeds up at the sound of his voice. His boy. He sighs in relief.

"Hey buddy, you did so good," Conrad says to him.

Matt smiles, "I picked a blue cast."

The nurse did tell them that they let him pick his color out.

Conrad examines it closely, "We'll let Mallory and Henry sign it."

"Cool!"

Belly smiles at them both. The nurses bring Matt whatever he wants, jello and ice cream mainly. Belly tries to get him to eat a sandwich and some fruit but he objects.

It's almost 9:30 when they ask Conrad and Belly to leave. Belly has a hard time leaving, but they assure them that he can come home tomorrow morning, first thing.

Now that Conrad is sure Matt is fine, his blood pressure is rising thinking about Taylor.

All the lights are on at the house, so people must be awake still. Belly grabs his arm on the way up the stairs, "Con, please just take a deep breath."