seventeen

BELLY

Fall in Boston is the best. The trees are turning red and orange and yellow. The colors make the city look alive, like there's fire dancing from one tree to the next. Everything smells crisp, and you can just feel the excitement of the seasons changing.

Conrad and Belly quietly moved past the fight with Jeremiah. He hasn't called since he left, and they're both okay with it for now.

Matt and Henry both go to daycare, which leaves Belly at home a lot. She plans the annual Susannah Fisher Charity Gala. They auction off some of her paintings, people donate things to be auditioned, like fishing trips and boating lessons, tickets to a Red Sox or Celtics game. It's become a pretty large event in Boston the last few years. Belly loves organizing it, and she pours all of her energy into it.

Conrad comes home between surgeries one day while she's on the phone. It's almost October, it's cool outside, and a light breeze delicately sweeps through the house.

Belly is surprised to see him walk through the door. She smiles and holds up a finger to him.

"Okay, that's great Diane. Can I call you tomorrow so we can iron that out?" She nods, "Thank you, bye!"

She sets down the phone. "Well this is a nice surprise."

"I thought I would come say hi," he says softly.

"Are you hungry?" She walks over to the fridge, "I can make something for you."

"No, I don't want to eat."

She closes the fridge, "Okay, come sit with me then."
Belly pulls him over the couch. She sits down next to him and throws her leg over his lap, "You okay?"

"Can't a guy just come see his wife?"

"Of course you can," Belly runs her fingers through his hair. "You just haven't come home for lunch in a while."

Conrad closes his eyes, "How's the gala coming?"

"Good, everything is pretty much set. I just need to find a dress."

"You'll be perfect in whatever you wear," he smiles.

"What time is your next patient?"

Conrad opens his eyes to look at the clock on the wall, "I have about an hour."

Belly sighs. "You seem stressed Con."

"I'm just exhausted, I swear I'm fine."

Belly isn't buying it but she doesn't push him, that never goes well. Instead she lays her head on his shoulder. He exhales and pulls her as close to him as possible.

"I think my dad is dating someone," he says quietly.

"Oh?"

"I called him on my way home and there was a woman's voice in the background."

Belly plays with a string on his navy blue scrubs, "Well that's good, I mean no one should be alone,"

Conrad rubs her shoulder softly, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Belly sits up and pulls her legs into her body. He watches her, "Tell me what's wrong."