forty-seven

BELLY

Christmas brings the cold into Cousins. The air off the ocean bites as soon as you dare to set foot outside, making your cheeks feel prickly.

Cousins is quiet this time of year, there's no use for a beach house if you can't go to the beach. But the Fisher's and the Conklin's have made it a tradition to spend Christmas up here.

Conrad is outside on the patio, stringing big colorful lights around the deck.

Belly is standing in the warm house, pulling stockings out of a large storage bin they pulled up from the basement. Parts of the house are under construction so Belly and Conrad are doing their best to make it feel like Christmas for all of the kids.

Matt, Henry and Crew are having a sleepover at Jeremiah and Hailey's tonight, and then driving up with them tomorrow.

Belly is clearly showing now, having hit her 22 weeks mark. She's dying to tell her family, and in less than 48 hours, she will.

Conrad comes in, shivering. "It is so cold out there."

Belly holds open her hands, "Come here,"

He walks over and places his hands inside of hers. She cups her little fingers around his and makes a cup, she blows hot air into them and he sighs.

"Better?"

"Much, thank you." Conrad smirks at her, "Actually, my lips are a little cold too."

Belly rolls her eyes, "Really? I'm pretty sure only 16 year olds use that line."

"Kiss me anyway," Conrad says softly.

Belly does, and his lips are actually cold against her warm ones.

"Do you want hot chocolate?" Belly pulls away from him and walks towards the kitchen, which is full of clear plastic sheets over doorways and ladders strewn about everywhere.

"Yes please," Conrad follows her. Conrad hovers behind her while she heats up water and mixes in her homemade mix. "Extra mallows," He whispers against her neck, his lips never leaving her skin.

"I know, I know," she says. Conrad always loves extra marshmallows. He's been quietly saying "extra mallows" since they got married.

She served him steaming hot chocolate in a chipped coffee mug that Susannah used to drink out of.

He takes a long sip, "Thank you."

Belly walks back into the family room, "Anything for you," She calls over her shoulder.

"What's next?" Conrad sits on the couch, "Should I bring the tree up?"

"Sure."

Conrad disappears down the stairs. Belly can hear boxes being shuffled around.

"Belly!" Conrad shouts.

"What?" She yells back, walking over to the top of the stairs.

"Come here!"

Belly walks down the stairs into the dark, drafty basement that is only used for storage. Boxes are piled high in corners, but most of the basement is just empty.