forty-six

BELLY

Belly is waiting anxiously for news on Shayla and the baby. Conrad is at the hospital, he's in surgery and the boys are at school. Belly should really be going to the office for a few meetings, but she doesn't want to be further away from the hospital so she takes them from home.

The day seems to drag by, the minutes feel like hours, each one passing at a glacial pace. Belly is so excited to have another niece, they need more girls in this family.

The call finally comes around dinner, Steven says Shayla is exhausted but their little girl is here and healthy. He says they can come first thing in the morning to meet her, after dropping the boys off at school.

"Shayla wants to tell you her name in person," Steven says over the phone.

Belly chuckles, typical Shayla. Everything has to be a big thing, "Conrad and I will stop by first thing. Give Shayla and baby our love."

"Will do, bye Bells."

Conrad is washing dishes when she gets off the phone, he raises his eyebrows, "So?"

"She's here! They said we can stop by first thing tomorrow morning."

Conrad smiles, "Oh that's great news. I can't wait to meet her."

Belly walks up behind him, pressing her forehead to his back, "We have to tell them about the pregnancy eventually,"

"I know,"

"But now, I don't want to take away from Shayla and Steven."

Conrad turns the water off and turns to face her, "We could tell them at Christmas, everyone will be up at the beach house?"

Belly nods, "Okay, I like that idea. I'll be over halfway by then. I'll probably be showing."

"That's what sweaters are for," Conrad leans down to kiss her.

Belly smiles into the kiss, his lips are so soft. "They're going to think we're nuts. We'll have a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 2 year old when this baby is born."

Conrad shrugs, "I would have it any other way."

"Me either," Belly stands on her tip toes to kiss him.

The next morning, Belly and Conrad drop the boys off at school and head straight to the hospital. They take the elevator up to the maternity floor. Jeremiah and Hailey are standing with Steven and her mom.

They all share hugs.

"Mom did you meet her?" Belly asks.

"I did, she's perfect," Her mom responds with a huge grin.

Steven looks at Belly, "Shayla wants you and Conrad."

Belly and Conrad share a glance, and they follow Steven down the hall to a corner room.

Shayla is sitting in bed, a tiny little baby, wrapped in a hospital blanket, in her arms. Shayla smiles when they walk in.

"Hi!" She says with a happy smile.

"Shayla, you are the only person in the world who would look effortlessly perfect after having a baby," Belly says with a laugh.