twenty-six

BELLY

Belly is stunned to see Taylor. They haven't spoken in years. Taylor's husband Jason never liked Conrad very much, and as they got older, it just didn't make sense to keep forcing them to hang out.

Belly and Taylor tried to stay in touch, but Taylor moved to New York with Jason, and then Belly had Matt and eventually they just stopped talking completely.

"Hi Belly," Taylor says against Belly's shoulder as they hug.

"Hey Tay," Belly says back.

Conrad clears his throat, "Who is this little guy?"

Taylor breaks free from the hug, "This is Crew."

Crew shuffles his feet closer to Taylor, and she pats his head.

Conrad shoots Belly a glance and Belly shrugs at him. She has no idea what's going on.

Conrad leans down to Crew's level and says, "Are you hungry? We have a whole lot of food in the kitchen."

Crew just nods and reaches for Conrad's hand. They exit the room swiftly.

Taylor shifts her weight nervously from one foot to the other, not saying anything.

Finally Belly breaks the ice, "How have you been?"

Taylor sighs, "I'm sorry I came unannounced, Belly. I know this is uncalled for, I just.." she glances nervously at the kitchen.

Belly understands her not wanting people to hear what's going on. She grabs one of Taylor's suitcases, and says, "Come with me."

Taylor grabs the other two and they walk up the stairs. The house is getting full. Her mom and Frank are supposed to be here this weekend, and Adam will come up too. If Taylor and Crew are still here, they won't have enough beds.

Belly quietly wonders to herself if it's time for her and Conrad to take Susannah's room. They could remodel it and make it their own. But something about it still feels wrong.

Belly pushes the thought aside, trying to focus on Taylor. She would only be here if she needed something. Maybe that was the beauty of this friendship, there is never really an end to it. They didn't talk or keep up with each other's lives, but did it matter? If either one of them truly needed something, there would be no questions. It was unassuming.

Taylor doesn't hesitate to sit down on Belly and Conrad's bed as soon as Belly closes the door.

Taylor glances around the room, taking it all in. Her eyes land on the dresser. It was once covered with Conrad's trophies and medals. Now it's covered with their wedding photos, and newborn photos of Matt and Henry, along with some trinkets Conrad has saved throughout their relationship. Like the original infinity necklace, which is worn and weathered from years of use. It's draped over the corner of the frame that their wedding photo sits in. Conrad's wedding ring sits on a cigar box he got from his grandpa. He doesn't wear it when he works out, and he never put it back on after his run this morning.

Taylor's eyes finally land on Belly, "I still can't believe you two are married."

It's more accusatory than Belly likes, but she doesn't say anything, she pops her lips, "Yep."