twenty-seven

BELLY

Belly's house was always quiet when she was growing up. She fought with Steven, but her Dad was never into watching TV much, and her mom was a writer, so it was always just quiet.

But then, they would go to the beach house, and Belly loved it. The noise of the boys playing, the constant commotion of people in the pool, or music playing from Conrad's room. Belly relished in the laughter and chaos that a big family brought.

When Belly goes downstairs the next morning, she's hit with noise.

Shayla and Taylor are at the counter cutting up fruit, talking like they're old friends. Jeremiah is on the floor playing with Mallory. Steven and Conrad are at the table with Henry, Matt and Crew. It's loud, the kids are talking, Steven and Conrad are talking over the kids. Taylor is laughing.

Belly stops at the bottom of the stairs to take it all in. This, is exactly what she wanted. Chaos.

Taylor spots her first, "Morning Belly!" She walks over with a cup of coffee and hands it to her.

Conrad is smiling at her. He winks. Belly kisses Matt's head on her way by the table. He rolls his eyes at her. Henry waves.

She sits down next to Mallory on the floor.

"Hi Auntie B," Mallory says softly while playing with her dolls.

Belly kisses her forehead. Jeremiah nudges her with his knee, "You good?"

"I am." Belly confirms.

Jeremiah leans a little closer to her, "Taylor is drinking already."

Belly frowns at him. She subtly looks over her shoulder. Taylor is sipping coffee. She turns back to Jeremiah, "Did she put it in her coffee?"

"I think so, I can smell it on her."

Belly looks at Taylor again. She seems fine, "I'll keep an eye on her today. Thanks."

And Belly does. By noon, Belly has counted three more drinks in Taylor's hand, but she seems completely fine. She's not stumbling or slurring her words. They spend the day down at the beach. They make sand castles with the kids, they all take turns surfing.

Conrad and Belly head back to the house before the rest of them to make dinner. They throw hot dogs and burgers on the grill. Conrad is sipping a beer when Belly finally asks, "Do you notice anything off about Taylor?"

"It's Taylor, she's always been off," Conrad says casually. He flips a burger, "Why do you ask?"

"Jeremiah told me she put something in her coffee this morning, and she's been drinking all day."

Conrad eyes her, "You think she's an alcoholic?"

"I don't know, spending one day with her doesn't give me the right to make that assumption. But that's a lot of alcohol to consume."

"I don't know Bells, you know how we used to drink when we came up here. I just got drunk yesterday with Steven. It's easier to drink up here." Conrad says.

Belly shrugs, "That's true."

"Let's not jump to conclusions. She's had a rough few days."