forty-four

BELLY

It's Wednesday, and the rain is coming down in sheets. It's hard to even see the building she just parked in front of, but she knows she's in the right place.

Belly steps out of the car and into the rain, pulling her hood up around her face. It's still humid, but the last week has seen a change in the weather. The air has a little tiny bite to it, one you don't even really notice until it's suddenly cold again.

She walks across the small parking lot and into the building. They must have the air blasting because a wall of cold air hits her.

A receptionist right past the front doors smiles at her, "Hi! Welcome to Thompson Spa & Rehab, can I help you?"

Spa?

"I'm here to see Taylor Jewel," Belly says quietly, removing her hood.

The receptionist purses her lips, "Ms. Jewel isn't supposed to have visitors. Can I ask what this is in regards to?"

"I'm her son's foster mom, it's about her child."

Another pointed look from the red-head behind the desk. She holds up her index finger, silently telling Belly to hold, "I'll have to make a few calls. Name?"

"Isabel Fisher," Belly says quietly.

She does make a few calls, asking some questions to whoever is important enough on the other line to make the call. Finally, after what seems like hours, an older blonde woman comes walking out and smiles warmly at Belly.

"Are you Isabel?" She asks.

"I am," Belly stands up from her chair and holds out her hand.

"I'm Mary, I'm the Director of Patient Care. It's nice to meet you."

"You too," Belly says softly.

Mary is a nice looking woman, her brown hair is peppered with grey and she has it pulled back into a perfect low bun. She's dressed for her job, black dress pants, high black heels and a red blazer over a black shirt.

"I've heard a lot about you," Mary says quietly, "Why don't you come with me."

Belly falls into step behind Mary, unsure of what Taylor might have said. It probably wasn't good considering their last interaction at the beach house.

Mary walks down a hallway, the walls are littered with nature paintings. She stops at a set of double doors. She turns back to Belly, "It is a wonderful thing you're doing for Crew."

Belly gives her a soft smile. Mary pushes through the doors. They continue walking, now beginning to pass patient rooms. A few of them are open, but most are closed. They take a left and Mary comes to a stop outside room 124.

"Here you are," She says quietly.

Belly takes a deep breath, not sure what to expect on the other side. It's just a rehab facility. The door is open a crack, so Belly pushes it open and knocks softly.

"Come in!" Taylor's voice chirps from the other side.

Belly walks in, her eyes scanning the room. There's a sitting area to her left with a couch, a coffee table and a TV. To her left is a kitchen table with four chairs, and the kitchen behind it. In front of her is a small hallway, and beyond that Belly can see a door open that looks like a closet. Her bedroom must be back there.