33 || Trouble in paradise

His fingers stop playing with my hair. I can feel him stiffen behind me. "Of course I would much rather spend my Christmas with you, but I have to do this. For us and for him." I attempt to do some damage control.

It backfires.

"For him?!" He speaks angrily. I move away from him to sit on the other side of the bath so we can look at each other. "He's blackmailing us, y/n. What do you mean you have to do this for him?" He snarls at me.

"We're friends, Sev." I respond softly. "He needs me so his homophobic parents will stop bothering him." I try to explain.

"What about me? I need you! You're MY girlfriend so you should spend Christmas with ME." I can sense his anger starts getting out of control.

"I know. There's nothing I'd rather do, really. I just can't get out of this, I promised. But hey, it's just a holiday after all. We could pick a date and celebrate it then. Just you and me." I try to calm him down and actually really like the idea I just described.

"You promised him without talking to me first?" His eyes shoot daggers into me.

"I can make promises without talking to you first, Sev." I answer, annoyed by his controlling behaviour.

"Not when it affects us both." He retorts, seething.

"I made this choice for us and for Draco. You can be mad at my decision but not at me making it without informing you." I respond angrily while getting out of the bathtub.

"He's manipulating you, y/n. He wants you and you're letting him." His voice is sharp. Severus also gets out of the bathtub and dries the both of us with a spell.

"Gosh Severus, he doesn't want me! He's gay!" I almost yell at him while putting on my clothes.

"Bullocks. He's lying to you. I forgot how dense you can be." His voice gets a raw angry edge to it and it's starting to scare me.

"Don't insult me, Sev. I know you're hurt that I'm not spending Christmas with you but we can spend all of the other days together and celebrate it then." I try to reason with him.

"My Godson has to keep his fucking claws off of my girlfriend." His angry voice echoes in the bathroom. "And here you are, happy to do exactly what he wants. Naive little girl."

His insults hit me right where it hurts. I can't help my eyes from watering.

"I love YOU, sev. If that's not enough... I don't know what is. You don't have to trust him, you have to trust me. Trust that I love you. Trust that I'm Draco's friend and only want to help him. Do you trust me?" My voice sounds thin.

I look at him, anxiously waiting for his answer. I can't read anything from his face anymore.

"I don't know if I can." His low voice feels cold in my ears.

"What do you mean?"

"You put others before me." He responds, nothing but anger in his voice. Behind it is hurt and sadness, but he doesn't show it. Not even a glimpse.

"Wha-"

He talks over me.

"Potter. You betrayed me to save him.
Parkinson. You could've exposed us.
Weasley. You cheated on me." He sums up with fire in his eyes. "And now Draco."

"You're being unfair." Are the only words I can think of.

"Am I?" He spats.

"Harry was going to die if I didn't do anything. Pansy would have been traumatised if I didn't help her. And you had just done something terrible to me so excuse me for seeking comfort. We weren't even together, I had broken up with you." I respond angrily.