39 || Aftermath

Everything is a haze when Draco puts the engagement ring on my finger and the crowd applauds. He stands up and kisses me again before embracing me in a tight hug. That's when people start approaching us with congratulations. We get ripped apart, his friends and acquaintances practically jumping on him while I try to get away from the mass. I wipe away my tears in search for a place to calm down. Then I spot a waiter with a few glasses of champagne on his tray. I take two and empty them in my mouth quickly, needing some relief.

As I walk randomly through the room, I get stopped by my dad's hand on my shoulder. I turn around and look at my parents. Suddenly, my tears return and I throw myself into my mother's arms. "Shhh, honey." My mom whispers as she comfortingly strokes my back.

"Mr. and Mrs. y/l/n." I hear Lucius greet my parents. "Tears of excitement I presume?" He turns to me. Reluctantly, I step back from my mother to look at Lucius. "Of course. I have to admit that it's also a bit overwhelming." I say with a sweet smile.

"That's only natural." He agrees.

"I'm sure it's overwhelming, honey. But this is just marvellous news." My mother says happily as she places her arm around my shoulder.

"Yes, sweetie. Marriage is the best I could have hoped for you and you'll get a Malfoy husband, no less! On top of that you have the privilege of experiencing it at such a young age." My father responds.

"Yes, I agree. Why wait?" Lucius speaks smoothly. "Draco is head over heels for your daughter. She's all he's been talking about for the last months." Lucius lies to my parents.

"I think this is wonderful for the both of them. Y/n couldn't have picked a better suitor." My father beams with enthusiasm.

Suddenly I feel extremely nauseous and I have to excuse myself before sprinting towards the nearest bathroom. I hastily push past people, not caring who I shove. In my daze, I run past Pansy. She wants to grab my arm, looking at me with worried eyes, but I'm too fast. Once I'm out of the ballroom, I look around and have to guess where to go. After opening some doors, I finally find a bathroom. I get on my knees and immediately start puking into the toilet. Everything is a blur. There's only puking, tears and anxiety. Every thought more overwhelming than the other, making me even sicker. I dare a glance at the ring around my finger. The ring is thin and made of silver, and on top sits a stunning rectangular diamond. It's a simple design yet extremely expensive.

It makes me have to throw up once again. It reminds me of Lucius and his cruel threats. I cry and vomit and feel my body getting exhausted.

Suddenly, I hear the door open. Footsteps come in and then the door locks. A large hand is placed on my back, rubbing me gently. "Shhh." Severus' comforting voice sounds close to me. "Breathe, my darling." He instructs gently.

His presence brings me to a calmer state and the puking stops. Now there are only tears left, waterfalls of them. "My life is not mine anymore." I cry. "He threatened you, Sev... I had no choice."

"Shhh." He says again. He gently helps me up and guides me to the sink. He turns on the tap and the water starts running. With his hands steady on my waist, I start cleaning my mouth, washing away the disgusting taste. As I grab the handle to turn it off, my gaze shifts towards the shiny ring on my finger. I loathe it. "Stupid fucking ring." I mutter, taking it off and throwing it in the corner of the bathroom. Then I lower myself to the ground and start crying louder.

Severus also sits down on the floor and leans against the wall as he takes me in his arms. I'm a mess, my body is weak and empty and my head is pounding.

"I thought he was your friend. But he's a heartless and cruel snake." My hands are shaking as I ball them into fists, thinking about Lucius' face.

Severus pets my head in a soothing rhythm, holding me close to him. "I don't want to marry Draco. I can't! I-"