38 || Caught 2

"Didn't I tell you to call me Lucius?" He has a charming smile on his face.

I uncomfortably pull my dress down, feeling as if I'm exposed even though the split isn't high enough to do that. "Yes, you did. My apologies, Lucius." My heart is racing in my chest.

"That's better." He drawls as he walks closer to me. "More familiar, wouldn't you say?"

I hum in agreement, not sure what to say.

"Walk with me." He offers as he starts walking into the garden, expecting me to follow. I hastily follow him, still anxious and confused about what's going on. "Are you enjoying my gala tonight?" He asks, casually making conversation.

"Very much so. The decorations are extraordinary and everyone looks lovely." I respond, hoping flattery will get him off my back.

"Good. Well... I've heard you're the star of the evening." He turns his head towards me in order to inspect my appearance once more. I swallow, feeling naked under his gaze.

"Oh." I simply say.

We walk further and further into the garden, the music and chatter from the guests fading in the distance. "People were wondering who that stunning girl was in the purple dress. I, of course, was delighted to tell them that you are my son's girlfriend." He explains.

"Well it is the most beautiful dress I've ever worn." I say, humbled by the compliment. "Do you know what time it is? I want to be with Draco by midnight." I ask casually, hoping to get away from this weird situation.

He looks at me and I can see a small smirk tug on his lips. "I'll make sure you get to Draco in time, don't you worry." Something about his tone makes me shiver.

"You know... this garden is my pride and joy, especially in spring. Narcissa and I like to stroll in the evenings and watch the sunset. Hyacinths are her favourite flowers, and so I had a whole field of them built for her. Personally, I like gardenia's better, all of the bushes have them along the trail. It's truly a wonderful sight. Tell me, what's your favourite?" He tells me a whole story I'm really not interested in at the moment. I'm very confused about why I'm walking with Lucius Malfoy in his garden when there's a party going on inside.

"That sounds absolutely wonderful, I'd love to see it when spring comes around. Hmm... I think I'd have to go with cherry blossom." I answer his question.

"Excellent choice. We don't have those yet... I'll make sure to plant a tree... I've got the perfect spot in mind already."

My eyes go wide in shock. "Oh you really don't have to do that for me." I quickly say.

"Why not? I'm sure you'll be coming over a lot. Wouldn't it be nice to have your own spot in our garden?" By now the sound of the party is completely gone and the silence of the dark night makes me hyper aware of walking alone with Lucius.

"Yes, sure. That's very generous, thank you." I smile, wishing this to be over soon.

"Now..." he comes to an abrupt halt, his gaze turning icy. "... why don't you tell me what you were doing in my garden with your professor?" He crosses his arms as he towers over me.

My heart starts racing and I try really hard not to let my hands shake. "I had a private matter to discuss about school." I respond, my voice not sounding as confident as I wanted.

"Hmm that's odd... I don't remember ever discussing the absence of my underwear with a teacher. Is that something from your generation?"

I freeze in shock. He heard. He heard everything. I can't move, talk or breathe. His cold eyes are fixated on me, making me cower under it. I stay silent, not knowing what to say or how to respond.