[4]

Lorenzo and I have just arrived in Chicago

Lorenzo and I have just arrived in Chicago. The windy weather greets us as we exit our private plane and into our awaiting car. Lorenzo tells the driver the precinct Parker is at and we are underway. 

"What do you think he's like?" I ask turing to Lorenzo.

"Hopefully nothing like Ares." He chuckles out. 

I just laugh in response. 

Ares is something all right. It is almost like he was made for the mafia. He shows no emotions and has no weaknesses. There is no man that can beat him in a fight, except maybe Lorenzo.  

"Yeah, I hope for all our sakes if Parker is going to take after one of the twins, let it be Bruno." I respond.

Bruno is definitely one of the more level headed members of the family. Unlike Ares, he does not act on emotion, but uses logic. 

Lorenzo just hums in agreement.

The rest of the ride was silent. Pulling up to the station, we walk through the doors and everyone bows their head in respect. The police may not like what we do, but even all the way in Chicago, they know to respect us and the power we hold.

"Lorenzo Moretti?" A feminine voice speaks.

Lorenzo and I both turn to see a tall female officer with chestnut hair approaching us. She looks to be in her late twenties.

"Sarah Gale, I presume." Lorenzo responds. 

"Yes, we spoke over the phone." She responds while shaking Lorenzo's hand.

"This is one of my brothers." Lorenzo says gesturing to me.

"Nice to meet you Sarah, I'm Matteo Moretti." I speak reaching for a handshake.

Sarah returns the gesture before motioning us to an office. 

"I just need Lorenzo to sign a few documents before you can legally take Parker home." Sarah informs us. 

"Gladly." Lorenzo responds. 

With that we walk to Sarah's office. As Lorenzo is signing the needed documents I decide to ask Sarah a little more about Parker. Right now, we know absolutely nothing about him, only that he is our full sibling.

"So, what can you tell me about Parker?" I ask.

"Well, Parker doesn't talk much, super quiet kid." She responds.

I nod in response.

"However, Parker took the news of James passing surprisingly well and was very cooperative with us. Made all of our jobs a lot easier." Sarah finishes.

"Well I'm glad, wouldn't want to be taking in a little troublemaker." I joke in response.

Sarah laughs along with me before Lorenzo clears his through signaling he is done with the paperwork. 

"Great, I'll introduce you guys to Parker and you can be on your way." Sarah happily states.

Sarah leaves the room and wordlessly we follow her. She stops in front of another office, looking through the fogged glass, I can see a child's sleeping form.

Sarah quietly opens the door and motions for us to come in.

"Parker, sweetie, your brothers are here." Sarah speaks softly, shaking the shoulders of the hunched figure delicately. 

Parker jerks awake and looks to be immediately on guard, looking around the room until making eye contact with Lorenzo. 

It's only now do my eyes widen in shock. Parker is a girl? A tiny girl in fact, she looks no older than eight, but that's not possible she has to be around eleven.

I turn to Lorenzo and see he is also in shock, but is much better at hiding then me. His face is as emotionless as ever but a slight eyebrow raise gives his shocked emotion away.

"Hello Parker, I am your oldest brother Lorenzo Moretti and new guardian. I am twenty-four years old." Lorenzo states.

I can tell he is trying to soften his voice. Lorenzo's voice is normally much more demanding - given he is a don - but poor Parker looks terrified right now.

"Hi Tesoro, I am Matteo Moretti and I am your second oldest brother. I am twenty-three years old." I respond softly as well, not wanting to further her terror.

Parker looks between the two of us, but never makes eye-contact. I take the time to observe her. She looks just like mother. She has beautiful straight long blond hair, none of which our brothers inherited, and the most striking green eyes. My observation is interrupted by her angelic voice. 

"H-hi I'm P-Parker and I'm el-eleven." She manages to mutter, still not making eye-contact.

Merda, shy was understatement. 

"Well, we have a flight to catch so let's get going." Lorenzo announces.

Wordlessly, I watch as Parker grabs her backpack and is that a stuffed cow?  My heart swells at the sight, she still is just a little girl. A little girl I must protect.

Sarah approaches Parker handing her a business card, telling her to call if she ever needs anything. Parker just continues to stare at her shoes as she pockets the card.

I make eye-contact with Lorenzo, and he shares the same look as me, uncertainty. We were not expecting Parker to be a girl, all our family knows is boys. This will definitely be interesting. 

Exiting the office, I look behind me to see Parker following us like a lost puppy. She is so tiny compared to our 6'5' height, she doesn't even meet my chest. As a doctor, I know she is definitely below the average for eleven year old girls. I'll have to give her a check-up.

Approaching the car, I open the back door for Parker and I to sit. Lorenzo takes the passenger seat as our driver begins to the airport. 

Lorenzo looks back to Parker and I meet his gaze. Her small figure cowers as close as possible to the window. 

Why is she so scared of us? Did Maria not tell her about us? 

"Parker?" I gently ask.

I watch her straighten a bit upon hearing her name, but she doesn't turn to make eye-contact.

"Did our mother... Did she ever tell you about us?" I question.

Her only indication of hearing me is a frantic shake of her head. Why wouldn't Maria inform her?

I decide to leave the questions for later, she is probably just exhausted and mourning after tonight events. 

I turn to my phone to finish some work but not without glancing at Parker's form every few minutes as the rest of our ride remains in silence. 

[word count 1050]