[42]

I've spent the last five minutes since Ares left relentlessly petting Ravi - who seems to be absolutely loving it

I've spent the last five minutes since Ares left relentlessly petting Ravi - who seems to be absolutely loving it. I debated for a moment to check and see if he had any dog treats stashed in the office, but decided against snooping. 

"Sorry Buddy, I'll be sure Ares stocks up." I speak to Ravi as if he can understand me. 

It's typical that my brother has left me alone with a dog for company. A dog I can't even spoil with treats!

Letting out an exasperated sigh, I give one final belly rub and make my way over to Ares desk. He suggested I do some homework while I wait for him to finish whatever he needs to finish. However, certain earlier events flood my mind. Friday is Enzo's Birthday!

With newfound excitement, I dig through my schoolbag in the hopes of finding something to use. A smile finds its way to my lips as I whip out my markers. As I get started on making my oldest brother a birthday card, I can't help the self doubt from invading my mind.  

I realize I cannot buy him the lavish things I often find him surrounded with, but hopefully a card made with love will suffice. My mother always cherished my cards, I made her one for every holiday. Oftentimes, she would even hang them on the fridge. 

As I work, my mind can't help but wonder why Enzo hates his birthday so much. Could it be because he's turning 25? I mean, that sure is a big number. Ares said he avoids any form of celebrating because he finds it immature and childish. I'm determined to change his mind.

Before I know it, twenty minutes has passed. Capping my marker, I admire my finished work. I put extra effort in because it's the first card any of my brothers are receiving. In the event that he hangs it on the fridge, the last thing I want to be is embarrassed. It's definitely going to be a surprise when Enzo sees it. 

---

Upon finishing any homework I had - which wasn't much as its only the second day - I decide I need to use the bathroom, if not only to stretch my legs and walk around. Ares granted me permission beforehand informing me that its down the hall and those are the only circumstances in which I may leave his office. 

Finishing up in the bathroom, I leave with the intent of returning directly to Ares office. However, I am knocked off balance by a rather weirdly placed wall.

Tumbling to the ground I let out an oof as I land on my butt.

"Sorry," I grunt to no one impiticular. 

As I push myself up to a more natural seated position, I notice a hand outstretched to me.

"Reid?" I mutter in recognition.

It looks as though I did not run into a wall after all.

"Parker?" He murmurs, clearly as confused as I am.

We both stare at each other in shock, before Reid motions again toward his arm. I snap out of my trance and offer a meek thank you as he hoists me to my feet.

"What are you doing here?" Reid asks me, breaking the silence.

"My... umm.. my brother owns the gym." I respond hesitantly.

I watch as Reid seemingly puts the pieces together.

"Wait, your brother is Ares?!" He exclaims rather loudly.

I grant a timid smile in response, confirming his suspension.

"So that means all the Moretti's are your brothers. Why didn't I put that together sooner? I mean, your last name is literally Moretti." He figures.

"What are you doing here?" I repeat his question.

"Oh right, my cousin works at the front desk. I'm here a lot when she's the only one available to watch me." Reid explains.

In doing so, he awkwardly rubs the back of his neck. Is he embarrassed that he needs someone to watch him?

"...anyway you wanna see what I do around here for fun?" He adds.

I eagerly nod as a cheerful smile pulls at my lips. Wasting no time, Reid matches my expression and grabs my hand, pulling me along.

After what feels like ten minutes of sprinting down hallways and up stairs, Reid finally drops my hand. Looking around my surrounding I offer him a questioning look.

"I come up here to.. umm... people watch." He states, once again looking a bit embarrassed.

Reid slowly walks towards a railing before sitting down, his legs dangling over the ledge. As I join him, I take the time to glance around. We seem to have reached the fourth floor of the warehouse. It appears to be used as an attic or storage room, with wooden crates all about. The middle of the floor is open to the rest of the gym, abelit surrounded by a sketchy rusting railing.

"I love people watching." I declare, plopping down next to Reid.

He offers a grin in response, no longer feeling ashamed. I kick my legs back and forth while resting my head in my arms which lean against the railing.  

We remain like this for several minutes, in comfortable silence. It's quite peaceful up here, watching the busy gym rats work out.

"Wanna throw rocks at the dumpster?" Reid asks out of the blue.

Of course, I agree but, find myself laughing at his random question. Reid reminds me of Luca, but a lot more docile. 

I follow behind Reid as he skillfully navigates the route leading to the backdoor, also known as the employee entrance. Somehow, we successfully avoid any adults who according to Reid - will ruin our fun. 

The brisk November air momentarily shocks my sensing, causing goosebumps to appear on my arms. Behind me, Reid expertly closes the door making sure no noise gives us away.

Before I know it, I'm helping Reid search for rocks along the outskirts of the warhouse parking lot. Reid somehow finds the best ones, I'm convinced he has a secret stash or something. Luckily, he shares with me, like the gentlemen I am finding out he is.

As we continue to pelt our glorified pebbles at the dumpster, a blinding flash catches my attention. Did someone just take a picture?

I quickly turn my head in the direction I think it came from, but only see parked cars. Weird. 

I'm about to voice my concern to Reid but, a loud slam interrupts my thoughts. The back door slams open, revealing Ares.

"Parker!" He shouts.

uh oh.

[word count 1082]