[5]

This car ride has been

This car ride has been... tense to say the least. I have not said much and don't plan to. These men, my brothers, are huge. Their entire arua screams intimidating. I fear if I even make eye-contact with them I will simply crumble to pieces. 

Don't even get me started on their muscles. I can't see much, but if their tight clothing tells me anything, they most definitely regularly workout. If James could do the type of damage he did with how scrawny he is, these men could literally snap me in half without even breaking a sweat. 

I feel my body shiver at the thought. Instead of living with one scary man, I now have to live with two? I don't know how I'm going to survive. 

I am pulled out of my thoughts by the car rolling to a stop. I lift my head from the window to see we are parked right in front of a private plane. A private plane! What kind of money do my brothers have? 

I mean sure they both dress in fancy suits that probably cost more than my houses rent. Not to mention the watches that adorn their wrists. Those alone probably cost more than a college tuition!

Mom and James may not of had much money, but we made due with what we had. At least when mom was still alive. After her death, all the money went to James's alcohol addiction. I'm not to sure how James managed to even keep the house with the amount of money he was basically throwing away.

"Bambina, time to go." Matteo speaks as he opens my door.

Momentarily startled, my body freezes before I come back to my senses. I nodding grabbing Herman, my cow. 

But, as I am reaching for my backpack, Matteo beats me to it. Once again startled, I look to him with wide eyes. 

Is he taking it away from me? What if he doesn't give it back. I may not have much, but at least let me have my clothes - not like they are going to fit you anyway.

"Don't worry piccola, I got it for you" He reassures with a smile.

What are all these names he's calling me? It's not english, so what language is it? I bet it's italian, mom spoke italian as well.

Reluctantly, I let him carry my bag but make sure to keep an eye on him. Speaking of keeping an eye on someone, where did Lorenzo go? 

As if Matteo was reading my mind he informs me he's already on the plane. Okay then.

I struggle to hide my limp as I make my way up the stairs to the jet. Upon entering, I am greeted with such luxury, I feel very much out of place. 

A little girl with run down clothes holding a tattered cow does not belong on a plane like this, that's for sure. 

Turning my head, I see Lorenzo is seated on one of the plush seats with his computer sat in front on a table. He is sipping a glass of - is that whiskey? 

Internally rolling my eyes at men's obsession with alcohol, my eyes continue scanning the plane. 

There looks to be a bedroom situated in the back of the plane. Next to that there is another door which I can only assume is the bathroom. Behind the four seats, one of which Lorenzo sits in, I spot two rather large couches. How many people does this plane seat?  Do my brothers own this plane? Surely, they can't.

I decide to sit in the seat furthest from Lorenzo. I watch him shoot me a quick glance before diverting his full attention on his computer again. 

Much to my relief, Matteo decides to sit across from Lorenzo so just a table separates them. He also gives his attention to a screen and begins working.

I wonder what they do for work. To live in this kind of luxury, it must be important. 

Deciding I am safe for now, as I have a whole aisle separating me from my terrifying brothers, I buckle my seat belt and stare out the window. 

The day, or should I say nights events, seem to be catching up to me. I feel my eyelids get heavy.

I am actually pretty relieved that James is dead, I mean he was my tormentor. However, part of me misses the man he was when mom was alive. But, that man died along with mom.  

I am making a promise to myself right now, this can be a fresh start for me. My brothers have not shown any intention of hurting me, but I can't rule that out just yet. I still don't trust them, it's hard to earn my trust. I mean can you blame me?

James used to be an amazing father figure in my life but one incident changed it all. I've built my walls high and I don't intend on letting them down easily. 

So, I'll keep my past a secret because, who wants a damaged girl? Besides, the bruises will heal in time. Until then, I won't let them know. 

I mean, I'll probably ruin their reputation if they find out. Weak, pathetic and broken are not words I would use to describe them. I hope they don't find out, god knows they'll probably send me off to foster care or some orphanage.  

If I stay in the shadows and don't upset them, maybe, just maybe, this will work. As long as their attention doesn't remain on me, I should be fine. Right?

I glance uneasily at Lorenzo and Matteo one more time before falling into the abyss known as sleep.

Maybe, just maybe.

[word count 967]