[44]

I feel the color drain from my face, a feeling I don't think I have ever experienced

I feel the color drain from my face, a feeling I don't think I have ever experienced. How could I forget her birthday? Better yet, how could I not even know when her birthday was? With my brothers, their dates were easy to remember, I was present for every single birth.

It must have slipped my mind with all the adjustments I have been experiencing now living with Parker. I've really messed up. Suddenly, her excitement for tonight makes so much more sense.

Hesitantly, I reach for the card placed in front of me. I make sure I'm gentle with it, I owe her at least that.  Opening the card, my heart clenches in guilt at her message.

Happy Birthday Enzo! I just found out we share a birthday! How awesome is that? I know how twins work, but I was hoping I could still be your twin! We may be thirteen years apart, but I still think it would be cool. You would make the absolute best twin, I love you!

With Love,

Parker Moretti

I have never found myself in a situation like this before. I'm a don for god sake. Having a guilty conscience is something I have been trained to avoid.

I place the card back on the table, dropping my head in my hands. How am I going to make this up to her?

"I think I'm going to go check on her." a voice speaks, pulling me from my trance.

I raise my head out of my hands, seeing Matteo rise from his seat.

"No." I find myself saying.

Matteo halts in his steps, turning around he raises an eyebrow questioningly.

"Let me." I state, leaving no room for argument.

Raising from my chair, I walk out of the dining room. Now in the hallway, I realize just how tense the atmosphere was.

As I make my way towards Parker's room, I rack my brain for the right words to say.

Far too soon, I find myself standing outside her closed door. Soft sniffing can be heard on the other side.

I raise my fist and softly knock on her door. As expected, I receive no response. I need to fix this.

With that thought, I gently push open her door. I'm met with a lump under her duvet, shaking quietly.

"Oh Bambina..." I whisper, taking in the sight I've caused.

If possible, my body fills with more regret. Her head pokes out from under the covers, eyes searching the room until landing on me.

I see her breath hitch in her throat at my presence. However, I ignore her apprehension and slowly make my way towards her bed, sitting on the end.

She hurriedly hides back under her covers. Whether out of fear or simply not wanting to talk, I don't know.