[58]

It was easy for me to wake up today, as I'm so excited to go back to school

It was easy for me to wake up today, as I'm so excited to go back to school. I quickly make my way downstairs after I'm ready and dressed in my uniform. I had to wear short sleeves even though it's now December because of my stupid cast. As I enter the kitchen, I'm met with Luca frantically throwing together my lunch. Weird, that's Matteo's job.

"Morning Parks," Luca says, noticing my presence.

I offer a confused smile in return. Where is everyone? We always have breakfast together.

"Everyone is helping out with the Martinez brothers, they've been having some issues with their business." Luca responds, reading my face.

"Oh" I mutter dejectedly.

This is certainly news to me.

"So, I'll be making your lunch today and after I finish up, I'll be joining them at work. Milo and Remo will be taking you to and from school today." He tells me, handing me my lunchbag.

I slip the lunch into my backpack as I slide onto a kitchen island stool. I absentmindedly pick at the food in front of me, no longer that hungry.

"Have a good day at school." Luca says as he ruffles my hair affectionately.

I half-heartedly swat his hand away and muster up a smile as I watch him leave for the day.

As soon as Luca leaves, my guards appear seemingly out of thin air. I offer them a genuine smile - it's not their fault my brothers are busy.

"Let's go get you educated." Milo overenthusiastically says, grabbing my bag from the chair.

I give him a thumbs up while his older brother, Remo, rolls his eyes.

---

"Welcome back, Parker. It's good to see you again." My teacher exclaims, when I walk into the classroom.

I quickly mutter something along the lines of its good to be back, before making a beeline to my seat. Not many students are here yet as I got here pretty early. Milo and Remo said it'd be good for my arm, not having to worry about bumping into people.

Regardless, I sit impatiently in my seat, waiting for the rest of my table to show up - especially Reid.

Braelyn is the first to show up. She smiles bright as soon as she makes eye-contact with me. Gosh, I have really missed my friends.

"Parks, I missed you." She says as soon as she takes her seat.

I greet her in response, but still eagerly wait for Reid to make an appearance. However, soon Haven shows up and after little questioning I soon find out Reid will not be coming.

"Oh Reid's on an extended vacation with his family. Must be so nice, I think they are in Spain!" Haven says being the chatterbox she is.

"That's what our teacher said his brothers told him." Braelyn quickly adds in.

What? I just saw his brothers yesterday and they told me he was sick. What's going on? Things are not adding up.

"When is he coming back? I haven't been able to contact him." I ask, trying my best to hide the utter shock and confusion on my face.

"Hmm, I don't know. He left during thanksgiving break so hopefully soon. Maybe we can't contact him because he's overseas?" Haven is quick to respond.

I conclude both Braelyn and Haven haven't been able to contact him either before our teacher tells us to quiet down and start class.

At lunch, as I eat the sandwich Luca made me, I frown at the fact that he didn't leave a little note like Matteo normally does. Throughout the rest of the day, I can't focus. All I can think about is the mystery surrounding Reid. I think when I get home, I am going to finally confront my brothers. They must know something, they have to.

Finally, the school day has ended and I am more than ready to go home. Thankfully, Milo and Remo are waiting for me. The sooner I get home, the sooner I can get answers.

"How was school?" Milo asks after getting into the passenger seat.

I'm glad you asked, Milo. It was very insightful, people are lying and I am going to get to the bottom of it.

"'s good, my friends signed my cast" I respond, instead.

I show them where Braelyn and Haven signed. I made sure they didn't ruin Bruno's tattoo artwork.

The rest of the car ride is quiet, until we pull up to our house. After putting the car in park, Remo and Milo turn around to face me.

"Parker, your brothers are very busy right now. They wanted us to let you know that they are available if you need them, but only in emergencies. They're up on the third floor, so if you need them, call or text. Okay?" Remo tells me, in his serious tone.

"All of them?" I immediately ask.

Remo nods his head.

"Oh, okay." I respond, feeling a little upset at the fact that I cannot question them until further notice. Plus, they seem to be a little distant recently. Enzo didn't even say goodnight to me yesterday.

With that, Milo opens my door for me and I make my way inside. I head straight to my room, ready to change out of this uniform.

After finishing changing, I hear a notification from my phone. Checking the notification, my heart skips a beat, it's from Reid.

'Parker, please meet me at our spot tonight. We need to talk, it's really important.'

Okay, that is not what I was expecting. He cannot give me the silent treatment and not expect a lot of questions.

'Reid! Where have you been? Why haven't you been responding? Are you okay?'

I send him, picking at my nails as I anxiously await his reply.

'I'll explain everything tonight, I promise. But, you have to make sure you are alone and your brothers cannot know.'

Okay, seriously what is going on? But he is promising me answers, the only one who is going to give me answers.

'I don't know, Reid. You're kind of scaring me.'

'Please, I need you to trust me.'

Reid's response is instant this time. I think back to Matteo's words, friends would do anything for eachother, before responding.

'Okay, I will be there.'

'Good, make sure no one knows. Try to leave after everyone thinks you've gone to bed.'

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I agreed to do this. Am I really going to sneak out of the house? I take a deep breath. It's okay, I am doing this for my friend. He would do the same thing for me in a heartbeat, I'm sure of it.

[word count 1111]