[35]

I analyze Parker's face and take note of the blood dripping down her chin

I analyze Parker's face and take note of the blood dripping down her chin. In a matter of seconds, I reach her side, using my handkerchief to wipe it before it can stain her shirt. With a single glance, I order Remo to fetch Matteo knowing his medical knowledge will help.

"Piccola, why are you bleeding?" I gently ask, turning my attention back towards Parker. 

Scanning her face, I realize she is not even listening. Her gaze remains fixated on the now one unfamiliar man in the room. 

"Parker?" I ask, using my finger to direct her gaze back to me.

She steps behind me, using my body as a shield to the possible threat in the room.

"Enzo, who are they?" She whisper shouts from behind my back.

I feel her tiny fists clutch my suit jacket as she slowly peeks her head around my body to risk a glance at Milo.

"That's Milo Pedrelli, he's a trusted friend. He won't hurt you, Parks." I respond brushing my hand along her hair. 

I turn my body around as I crouch to her level, effectively blocking her view from Milo. 

"Now, tell me why are you bleeding?" I gently ask, brushing a stray hair behind her ear. 

A look of realization washes over her face as she raises her eyebrows. 

"Oh, 'm sorry. I didn't know there was so much blood." She mumbles while playing with the object in her hand.

I release a sigh as I continue to hold gently her chin in place.

"Parker, you still haven't told me what caused the bleeding." I state, trying to keep my patience.

As she registers my words, a huge grin appears on her face. My body subconsciously relaxes seeing she in not in pain.

"I lost a tooth!" She happily squeals holding up the bloody object from her hand, revealing it to be a tooth.

I smile back at her, placing my palm out signaling I want to see it. She places it in my hand and I begin to observe her tooth as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. Only for her sake though, people loose teeth by my hand frequently.   

"Every tooth has a story, what's this one?" I ask placing it back in her grasp.

If it were possible, her smile grows larger as my curiosity pleases her.

"I was eating some of my Halloween candy, Twix to be exact. I took a big bite and my tooth hurt after biting the caramel. So, I touched it and noticed it was wiggly, then I yanked it out. I was so happy that got it out all by myself, I didn't even notice the blood. I then came running here to show you but, I saw those two men. Wait, where did the other one go?" She excitedly tells me talking a mile a minute.

Before I can respond, my office door bursts open to reveal a frantic Matteo with Remo trailing behind him.

"Where's my bambina? What happened?" Matteo shouts scanning the room for Parker who remains hidden behind me.

The squealing child behind me charges at Matteo with a carefree smile adorning her lips. I watch as Matteo's attention is turned towards her as she leaps onto him like a koala. 

"Look, I lost a tooth!" She shouts, shoving her still bloody tooth infront of his face. 

Matteo readjusts her body in his arms, sending my a what the hell look.

"Dio Mio, you know what that means right?" Matteo responds to Parker.

Parker's face scrunches in confusion, as she shrugs her shoulders while still admiring her tooth. 

"It means the tooth fairy is coming tonight!" Matteo excitedly exclaims.

I internally scoff at his antics, but I cannot deny I am happy to see him finally enjoy nurturing a sibling. When the youngest three brothers were Parker's age, father would never allow such soft behavior.  

"Okay." Parker nonchalantly replies, laying her head on Matteo's shoulder. 

Knowing she's comfortable in Matteo's arms, I take this as my cue to introduce her to her new security personal.

"Parker, I'd like to formally introduce you to these men." I announce, gesturing to the set of brothers standing beside my desk.

Parker's hold physically tightens around Matteo's shoulders as she analyzes the two strangers in front of her.

"Remo Pedrelli and as you've briefly met, Milo Pedrelli." I state pointing out which is which.

"Remo and Milo are brothers who have been working in our family's business for years.  They are going to be your personal bodyguards." I finish, turning to look back at my sorellina.

Her face once again shows confusion - better than the previous fear.

"Why?" She asks, adorably tilting her head to the side. 

I take a deep breath, running my hands through my hair. How am I supposed to explain this to an eleven year old?

"With our business's success, comes money as well as enemies. For your sake and our peace of mind, I have decided you need bodyguards." I gently say, hoping she will stop asking questions.

But, Of course, she's not done with questions.

"Why just me? What about Luca? I don't want him getting hurt either." She worriedly asks.

I cross the room, stopping inches away from Parker who still resides in Matteo's arms. My heart warms at the concern she has for her siblings.

"Piccola, All your brothers, including Luca are capable of protecting themselves. You are eleven and our only sorellina. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened to you." I say holding her chin in my hands.

I watch her deeply think about the news she has just received, glancing between Remo and Milo who remain quiet.

"If you're sure." She finally states. She didn't really have a choice in the first place. 

Parker wiggles her way out of Matteo's arms, now standing on her own two feet. Shocking us both, she slowly approaches the Pedrelli brothers stopping a mere foot infront of them.

"Hi, I'm Parker Ryan Moretti." She shyly says offering a little wave.

I look expectantly to the Pedrelli brothers. Observing this interaction, I debate if I made the right choice with this pair.

"Hello, Miss. Moretti, I am Remo Pedrelli and this is my younger brother Milo." The older of the pair states trying to soften him voice.

Milo offers a nod in return, but Parker suddenly bursts out giggling. 

"What's so funny, bambina?" Matteo asks, confirming he is also watching the interaction.

The Pedrelli brothers tense subtly, showing me they anticipate they have done something wrong.

"Remo called me a miss!" Parker whispers to Matteo - well tries to whisper.

Matteo approaches her and scoops her into his arms, causing more giggles to fill the room.

"You, my sorellina, have your first day of school tomorrow." Matteo says, bobbing her nose for effect.

Parker dramatically goes limp in his arms, displaying her displeasure.

"So, why don't we let Lorenzo finish his work for tonight and get ready for tomorrow?" Matteo asks, knowing I still have much to go over with Remo and Milo.

"Okay." I hear Parker mumble.

I watch her wave goodbye as she exits the room in Matteo's arms.

[word count 1184]