[22]

It took longer than usual to make our way downstairs, given I take a lot longer walking in this god forsaken boot

It took longer than usual to make our way downstairs, given I take a lot longer walking in this god forsaken boot. Nonetheless, we made it to the kitchen in one piece. Bruno was very patient with me.

Entering the kitchen, I am met with Ares and Matteo. Lorenzo must be working and Luca is probably at school. 

"Good morning sleepyhead, I made waffles!" Matteo chirpily exclaims.

I offer him a wave in response opting to sit next to Ares at the kitchen island. I take in Matteo's appearance and notice he is wearing an apron that says 'Mr. Good Looking is Cooking' which makes me laugh out loud. I quickly cover my mouth, hoping no one noticed.

"What are you laughing at?" Ares whispers in my ear.

I motion for him to come closer, barely concealing my giggles.

"Matteo's apron." I whisper in his ear, as if I am telling him a secret.

He lets out a silent laugh before going back to his disgusting looking drink. I mean who would voluntarily drink something that is green in color?

Seeing my scrunched up face, Ares slides his drink in front of me. I look between him and the drink. Does he want me drink it?

"I promise, it's not poison." He says slowing inching it closer to me.

I frantically shake my head. No way am I drinking that.

"It's got tons of vegetables and protein, it'll make you big and strong." Ares tries to reason.

If what he's saying is true, then no wonder all my brothers are tall and have huge muscles. Maybe if I try it, it will help me grow. I guess, one sip won't hurt. Right?

I eye Ares suspiciously while bringing the glass to my mouth. I take a hefty sip choosing to give the drink a fair chance. But, I almost immediately spit the green goop back into the cup. That was disgusting!

I turn to Ares with my tongue still hanging out of my mouth, he watches me with an amused smirk. 

"Gross." I declare sliding the drink back to him.

He just chuckles, taking the drink to the sink and washing the cup. Soon, Matteo appears infront of me with a huge plate full of waffles, my mouth watering at the sight. 

But then, my mood suddenly dampens. Does he expect me to eat all of this? 

I still never told my brothers the details of my life with James. They still don't know how rarely he'd feed me. I don't want to seem ungrateful by wasting their food.

"Just eat what you can, Parks." Matteo says, once again reading my mind.

Nodding in response, I grab a fork and begin to dig in. However, after only half of a waffle, I feel myself stuffed. Not wanting to say anything, I opt to push the food around my plate.

"Are you done eating bambina?" Matteo asks analyzing my plate.

I drop my fork saying, "'m full".

Matteo sighs but takes my plate away to the sink. I can't help but hate the fact that he's probably disappointed in me. But, I do appreciate he's not forcing me to eat.

"Parker?" Bruno asks from across the room.

To be honest, I forgot he was still here. Directing my gaze towards him I nod my head signaling his to continue.

"Did..umm.. Did James feed you?" He hesitantly asks. 

Of course, Bruno would be the one to notice. He is always reading the room and analyzing situations.

"No.... said I was un-ungrateful." I meekly respond finding my hands to now be the most interesting thing in the world. I don't want to look at their faces right now.

"Fottuto figlio di puttana!" Ares suddenly shouts, storming out of the room.

(Fucking son of a bitch!)

I can't help the flinch my body releases. I still don't like yelling. It reminds me of James.

Risking a glance at Bruno, I see he has his head in his hands, breathing deeply.

I then turn to Matteo seeing him deep in thought, his hand scratching his chin. What's he thinking about?

"It's okay bambina, I'll get you started on a meal plan. We will slowly but surely build your appetite back up. How's that sound?" Matteo says coming to sit next to me.

I nod in response and fall into his open arms, receiving a warm hug. 

I'm glad they didn't make too big of a deal out of this.

She was fucking starved?

I had to leave the room after hearing that news. If I stayed any longer, I would have freaked out. I don't want Parker seeing that side of me.

So, I went to where I always go to blow off steam, the gym. I didn't go to my boxing gym, just our houses gym. I've been relentlessly beating at a punching bag, imagining it's face is the monster that tormented my sorellina. 

"I thought I'd find you hear." I hear Bruno say as he enters the room.

I rip off my gloves and sink to the bench beside me.

"What'd you expect?" I coldy reply.

Bruno takes a seat beside me, handing me a bottle of water.

"Honestly... I thought you'd freak out right infront of her." He replies as I chug the bottle.

I hum in response. Does he think that little of me?

"I'm glad your learning to control your angry. Parker seems to be the best thing that's happened to you, to all of us." He continues leaning back against the wall.

"She really has brought out the best in all of us." I speak, joining Bruno against the wall.

Bruno and I sit on the bench in silence. We lean back staring into nothing, deep in our own thoughts. I replay the earlier events from his morning, the good ones. From Parker giggling at Matteo's apron to her spitting out my gross drink. A smile subconsciously plays at my lips. Whenever I am with Parker, it's like I'm a completely different person. Long gone is the cold blooded mafia member when I'm around her. She really completes our family. I don't think we'd recover if anything happened to her.

"I feel like our family is finally complete." I say to Bruno.

A few more moments of peaceful silence ensue.

"Yeah, it really is." He replies.

[word count 1056]