Ariella Hanson

"Ari." My arm was shaken and I looked up, the hood blocking my view.

I moved it and Kai was laughing at me.

"Sit up." He told me.

I sat, lifting my pillow to sit up so I could lean against it.

He put a bunch of chocolate milks on my bed and I smiled.

He handed me a pastry bag.

"How'd you know?" I saw the muffin.

"I didn't. You like them?" He asked.

"My favorite kind." I nodded.

"Lucky guess." He took a bite of his and I began eating mine.

"Okay I have a plan." He told me.

"What?" I asked.

"How about we attempt two meals a day. Small, yummy. If you can't keep it down we can go smaller. I'll then get you snacks." He said and I laughed.

"You don't have to go all-"

"How does that sound?" He interrupted, clearly not liking my interjection.

"It's good." I sighed.

"Give me an example?" I asked.

"I get you a muffin, make you eggs, get you a bagel in the mornings. Through the day I'll give you a fruit snack and a banana or something you want, and dinner will be some meatier stuff. Like steak, pork chops, bacon. I know you eat pepperoni on your pizza so you're not vegetarian. And some vegetables too. Maybe if you're hungrier but scared you won't keep it down we can do mashed potatoes or rice. They make you feel full with small portions." He nodded.

"You're sweet." I pulled off some muffin and ate it.

"Come on, doesn't that sound nice? Then you can tell me how your jeans are too tight and we can buy a size 0 while celebrating with frozen yogurt. We'll work on it. It'll take time but no one deserves to struggle eating. We can weigh you once every week if you want so you can see or feel improvement. All this is up to you, if I'm making you uncomfortable tell me to stop." He said and I smiled.

"You're just fine. You just need to... not make a face when you see my stomach." I told him.

"I know. That was very rude of me. I'm sorry." He said and I shook my head.

"It's not everyday a healthy person sees someone with a forced disorder. I haven't even looked at myself." I sighed.

"No?"

"No. How can a man, take of my clothes and find me attractive? I don't understand why that was his expectation for me. I get some people are naturally small, naturally sit at 100 pounds and they're completely healthy, I'm not. I'm supposed to be bigger, I'm 5'6 and 17 years old. I need to learn to eat right." My mouth twisted, sadness washing over me.

"It's okay. You have a lot of time to fix the outer parts but what's important is your mind. Do you think you should use your councilor?" He asked.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"I think it'll be good for you." He whispered and my phone began ringing.

I saw the number ID was the man I talked to last night.

"Hello, is this Ariella Hanson?" He asked.

"Yes sir." I answered, putting it on speaker and setting it down between us.

"You'd usually be here for this but it's urgent. You are officially emancipated and I have bad news." He said and my stomach dropped.

"What?" I whispered.

"Your dad, he was in a cell last night. He used the sheets and hung himself from the top bunk." He said.

I felt nothing.

"He's dead?"

"He's dead."

"Alright, thank you for letting me know."

"He had a will. When he died his money would go to his son? Ariano Hanson?" He said and I swallowed the large bump in my throat.

"He died 11 years ago." I answered.

"Oh, well I might chose to edit that. I know it's a will but I know he took everything from you. I tried to contact your mother but she signed, removing her parental rights to you this morning, she's no longer tied to you. She said give it away. It's yours. I'll bring it to you in cash." He told me.

I tipped my head up, trying to reverse the tears threatening to escape my eyes.

"Okay." I hung up on him.

Kai pulled me to him and I let some tears loose.

"How about, we pack up. I'll help you put this house for sale after a good cleaning and I can help you settle in the guest room. It has its own bathroom and everything. Not now, just in the next few weeks." He offered.

"Okay." I said.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I will be. That's all that matters right now." I sat up, standing and grabbing a chocolate milk while walking out onto my porch.

I sat down, pulling the giant hoodie over my knees.

It did smell good. The weed subtle, the deodorant was there and it smelt like clean laundry but more on the lavender side.

-

A black car came, walking out to me and I stood.

"How much is it?" I gasped, three big black bags were full of cash.

"Well, it's his Will money, the child support, money from your brothers death, selling drugs, working, and what's left over in his bank account. About $250,000? He said and my jaw dropped.

"W-wow. Okay. Thank you so much." I mumbled.

Kai walked out and helped me with the bags.

"Jesus, now your rich." He set them down and I laughed.

"Richer than you?"

"No. But you're going somewhere." He winked and I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you." I told Kai.

"Anytime sweetheart."