11 || THE LETTER

CARRY ON
"Vecna should be scared of these muscles."

THE BOYS, AND MAX, were still sitting down in the basement. Nancy and Robin had gone to Nancy's room to pick more suitable outfits.

Steve had followed the girls, desperate for them to take him. Unsurprisingly, it didn't take long for the Harrington boy to return with a glum face.

"Gonna assume they left. Without you." Riley slightly chuckled at the older boy which made him stick his middle finger up at him.

"You're not even funny." The boy replied, sitting down on the couch in between Lucas and Dustin.

No one said anything as they all turned to stare at the ginger girl who had now stopped writing and was putting the pieces of paper into what looked like brown envelopes.

"I know you guys are staring." Max told the four boys who didn't waste a second to look away.

"What, sorry?" Steve asked, in fake confusion as he picked up a ball. "You said you needed something?" Dustin asked, knowing the girl definitely did not say that.

"Just hanging out." Lucas then replied with a shrug, although the girl could not see it. "Steve, that is a lovely shirt you have got there." Riley complimented the boy, pretending as if he wasn't staring the girl down and she had called them all out on it.

"Why, thank you. I bought it." The brunette boy nodded his head, looking down at the shirt he had on.

"How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." The Mayfield girl told them, now getting out of her seat with envelopes in her hands.

None of the boys looked at her as she approached, all pretending they didn't have a clue she was standing in front of them.

Max looked at them, before clearing her throat. "You can look at me now." The girl informed them, all eyes now looking at her.

Max sighed before moving more towards Dustin and shoving her hand which held an envelope out to him. "For you."

She then moved to Steve and did the same thing, "For you."

Then Lucas, "For you."

Finally, the girl had turned to Riley who was still sitting comfortably on the floor. The girl held out her hand, but with more than one envelope. "For you and, um, give these to Mike, El and Will. If you can ever get a hold of them again."

The boy nodded, confusedly, before reluctantly taking the envelopes and looking at them. They each had names written on them, showing which one belonged to who.

Riley brought his to the top of the pile, and saw his name written in big bold letters noticing the small smiley face written beside.

The boys then all went to open them, but immediately got stopped by the girl in front. "What are you doing? That's not for now. Don't open it now."

"I'm sorry. What exactly are these?" Riley asked the girl, waving the envelopes around in the air.

"It's, um...it's a fail-safe. For after. If things don't work out." Max told them, looking down at the ground as she did. "Max, things are gonna work out." Lucas reassured her, Riley nodding his head in agreement.

"It will work out. You wanna know why? Because if it doesn't, Vecna knows me and him are gonna have some serious fucking issues." Riley told the girl making her shake her head. "No."

"I don't need you guys to reassure me and tell me that it's all gonna work out. Or say it will because Vecna is apparently scared of you." Max slightly laughed at the last part.

"What? Vecna should be scared of these muscles." Riley told the girl, with a scoff.

"People have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean, of course, this asshole curses me. Should've seen that one coming." Max inhaled deeply before staring at the group and walking over to the table and picking up the walkie.

"If we go to East Hawkins, will this reach Pennhurst?" Max asked the four boys who modded their heads.

"Of course it will. Yeah." Dustin told the girl but before she could reply, Steve butted in. "Wait. Why are we talking about East Hawkins?"

Lucas, Dustin and Riley all followed quickly behind Max and Steve who were walking out of the Wheeler residence. Max had wanted to go to East Hawkins to visit someplace which she wouldn't say before she died but Steve was not a very big fan of the plan.

"Max, Max seriously." Steve told her, trying his best to keep up with her fast paste. "Seriously, I'm not joking. I'm not driving you anywhere."

"If you think I'm gonna spend what is likely the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike Wheeler's basement, then you're out of your mind." Max told the girl as they approached the car.

"She's right, that's a shit way to spend the last day of your life." Riley agreed from behind the two.

"Exactly, so either take me to where I need to go or tie me down, which is technically kidnapping of a minor. And if I live to see another day, Steve, I swear to God, I will prosecute." Max told the boy as they arrived at the car.

The girl tried to open the back seat door, but obviously, it didn't budge. "Open the door."

"Uh, no." Steve told the girl with a shake of his head. "I know a good lawyer." Max threatened as she stared the boy down.

Steve sighed at the girl and scoffed before digging his car keys out of his pocket and unlocking the door.

"Henderson, that super walkie of yours better reach Pennhurst." Steve told the boy before everyone climbed into the car.

Riley's head snapped to Max as he heard yet another faint sound of an old clock. He saw the girl looking out in the distance, assuming she heard it too.

The boy went back to thinking, why would he hear it at the same time as her? He isn't even the fourth person on the apparently Vecna cursed list.

"Riley, you good?" Lucas asked the boy who seemed to be staring into oblivion. "What? Oh, yeah. I'm good."

Max had finally climbed into the car, jamming Riley between Lucas and herself. At the sound of a seat belt clicking in, Steve put his foot down on the gas, speeding away.

alex speaks

got some mysterious going on

please vote and comment!!
word count: 1111