38 || THE DEAD SON

CARRY ON
THE FINAL

"Anyways, I love you, mom."

1 day later.

It was dark out. The sun had set and the moon was shining. Eddie was no longer with the group. He was alone.

Wandering down to Lovers Lake, the boy held matches and a few sticks in his hands. The Munson boy crouched slowly in front of the lake and gently placed the sticks in a small pile, making sure they stayed afloat.

Now digging into his pocket, he pulled out a photo of him and Riley. They were both wearing their hellfire shirts, Eddie was wearing a grin at the camera whereas Riley was looking at Eddie, admiring him with a smile.

Even at the long glance he gave at the photo, it still didn't feel real.

With a heavy sigh, the boy pulled the photo to his forehead as he closed his eyes, wishing he could relive any moment he had shared with Riley.

But he knew he couldn't.

A few small tears slipped from his eyes, as a few sobs escaped from his mouth.

"I miss you so much." Eddie whispered as he pulled the photo away from his face and gently placed it upon the stack of sticks which continued to float.

He then pulled out a packet of M&Ms which he had brought with him. Glancing down at them, he smiled.

"These are your favourites, right?"

The boy popped one into his mouth, but gave the rest of the packet to the sticks as he sat it next to the photo.

Finally, he pulled out the matches.

Pulling out one of the small wooden sticks that sat in the matchbox, he quickly rubbed it against the side of the box causing it to catch fire instantly.

Eddie gently pushed the sticks away, but before it went any further, he quickly set the match to the sticks, careful not to burn himself.

"Goodbye, Ri." Eddie sniffed as he watched the firey mess float away.

Eddie placed his hand in his pocket, feeling the letter which Riley had written, and he pulled it out. Opening the letter one last time, he quickly noticed something that he didn't notice before.

'Mom.'

His hand now found the walkie-talkie which was attached to his belt, quickly pulling it to his mouth, he spoke.

"Hey, Dustin. You there?"

It only took a few seconds before a voice had responded. "Eddie? What are you doing?" It was Dustin.

"Do you think you could do me a favour?" Eddie questioned as his eyes were glued to the letter in front of him.

The Blood residence was what Dustin saw as he turned the corner on his bike.

Eddie had asked the boy to be the one to give the Blood woman the letter, knowing that there was still the risk of someone spotting him.