12 || THE DARK

CARRY ON
"Let's put on some tunes."

THE CAR PACKED WITH friends was silent. No one said anything as they rode in the car to the destination Max wanted to go to. Her house.

Riley felt eyes on him, causing him to look to his left to see Lucas looking at him. Or so he thought.

Following his gaze, he saw that he wasn't looking at him, but at the redhead beside him. Riley quietly groaned as he realised that he had sat himself in between the two love birds.

"This is fucking great." The Blood boy muttered to himself as he tilted his head back against the seat.

It didn't take long for them to arrive at the destination. The car came to a quick stop, Steve instantly turning around as it did.

"This better be fast, Mayfield." Steve told the girl who was already out of the car. "Twenty seconds." She told him before slamming the door and walking away.

"That thing's got batteries in it, right?" Steve turned his head to the Henderson boy, directing his eyes to the walkie which sat in his hands.

Dustin looked at the boy in disbelief before turning his head straight again. "I'm not even answering that question."

Steve continued looking at the boy, clearly lost. Riley looked at the Harrington boy with a dumbfounded expression. "Yes, Steve, it has batteries."

"Yeah, I got it." Steve told the boy, now turning his head so he was looking out the windshield in front.

The four sat in silence for a few seconds before the Blood boy finally had enough.

"I'm bored." Riley told the boys who now looked at him. "Let's put on some tunes." Riley told them, now leaning over Steve and Dustin to put the radio on.

To his surprise, one of his favourite songs had come on. Don't stop me now.

Riley let out a gasp making all three boys groan, especially Steve. "I love this song, man." Riley told the boys who just nodded.

"Yep, we know." Steve told the boy. Riley went to sing but stopped when Steve turned off the radio.

"What the fuck did you do that for?" Riley asked the Harrington boy who didn't turn back to look at him.

"Nobody wants to listen to you or your shitty music." Steve told him, making him scoff. "What do you mean shitty music?"

"I mean shitty music, what else would I mean?" Steve asked the Blood boy making in look at him in shock. "Queen is not shitty!" Riley defended.

"He's right, Queen's great." Dustin agreed with the Blood boy, as did Lucas. "Yeah."

"Why are you all ganging up on me all of a sudden?" Steve asked the three boys who all disagreed with him.

"Because your opinion is wrong, stupid, and invalid, and irrelevant, and pointless, and useless, and unwanted." Riley told the boy who now just shook his head.

"He's not wrong about your singing, though." The Sinclair boy told him, making him slightly nod. "That I can somewhat agree on."

"What do you mean somewhat? You should one hundred percent agree." Steve told the boy, now adverting his head back to the front.

"Oh be quiet Mr I Have A Crush On My Ex-Girlfriend Who Dumped Me." Riley told the boy, making Lucas laugh.

"Wait, you like Nance?"

"Yeah, he does." Dustin told the boy, making him laugh once more.

"No, I do not like Nance, okay? I just don't want her to die." Steve told the three boys who were mocking him.

Riley was about to reply, but flinched at the sound of an old grandfather clock ringing in his ear.

"Woah, Riley, you good?" Dustin asked, noticing the boy's movement. "Yeah, um, it's been longer than twenty seconds." Riley told him, now changing subjects to the missing redhead.

The four boys glanced at each other and got out of the car instantly. A few seconds later, the redhead had appeared from around the corner, clearly rushing over to the car.

"Hey, that was longer than twenty seconds." Steve told the girl who just walked past him.
"Max, you good?" Riley asked as the girl approached him and climbed into the car.

"I'm fine. Just drive." She now instructed Steve as the group followed her into the car.

"Did something happen?" Dustin asked the girl from his seat at the front. "Can we please just go?" Max asked, making Steve immediately drive off.

"Shit." Riley muttered under his breath as he rubbed his forehead. "Hey, Steve, can you actually drop me off at mine first? I need to check up on my mom." The boy asked.

Steve looked at Max through the windshield, silently asking if they could go there first. Max nodded making Steve turn the car around in the other direction.

"Thanks."

It took quite a bit, but they had finally arrived outside the Blood residence. Riley unbuckled his seatbelt and began climbing out of the car, making sure to grab his envelopes, before speaking.

"Please, be careful." Riley told the ginger who nodded her head. "I'll try."

The boy climbed out and closed the door, watching as the car almost instantly drove away.

Riley turned back to look at his house before quickly making his way in. He opened the door to see Aspen pacing around the room.

"Mom?"

The woman turned to look at him, letting out a sigh as she rushed over. "Where the hell have you been?"

"With my friends." Riley replied making her scoff. "With your friends? Seriously? There's been a murder and you've just been out?"

"Yes, mom, that's why I came here to check on you." Riley told the woman, now closing the door and making his way further into the house.

"This is unbelievable." Aspen sighed, pressing her hand up against her forehead. "I've been worried. And you haven't even bothered to come back? I thought you were missing."

"Well, mom, believe it or not, but I had more important matters to attend to," Riley told his mom, going to the kitchen and opening the cabinets in hope to find some food.

"Really? Like what? Playing a stupid fantasy game?" Aspen asked her son impatiently. The boy didn't respond, the woman now noticing the brown envelope in his hand.

Riley looked down, seeing that his mother was in fact talking about the letter Max had given him. "Nothing."

"Well, it must be something." Aspen told her son, now making her way to him and trying to grab the envelope.

Riley moved it out of his mother's grip, and placed it above his head which his mother couldn't reach. "It's nothing."

Riley now began making his way to his room, completely abandoning his mother in the kitchen.

The woman didn't say anything, and just watched him walk away and slam the door shut.

The Blood boy sat himself down at his desk, fiddling with the envelope that sat in his hands. He went to open it, but stopped when his surroundings turned dark.

alex speaks

this chapter absolutely sucks but kinda left you guys on a cliffhanger🤭

please vote and comment!!
word count: 1194