Chapter 94

13th November 1994

Dear Oliver,

I'm sorry that it's been so long since I've written. I hope the twins didn't make you worry too much about me. I'm fine, honest. I have to admit, I was surprised to be caught in the duel between Harry and Malfoy yesterday, and it came as was a It was a surprise at first, to hear what Professor Snape said which was that he didn't see a difference, when Ron made me take my hands away and show him my teeth.

I was hit by the Densaugeo spell during their duel, and Professor Snape said that he didn't see a difference even though my teeth had grown down to my collar by that time, and it was hard to hide them. Sure, it hurt at first, and that's why I ran off. I went to the infirmary and Madam Pomfrey gave me a mirror and while I was waiting for my teeth to shrink, I was able to think more about what he said, and I realized that maybe he wasn't trying to be mean to me with what he said, but was rather trying to remove the attention that Ron had drawn to me.

Anyway, I have tried forever to get my parents to fix my teeth, considering their both dentists and that's what they do for a living, but they always refused. Often I was told that it's not what's on the outside but on the inside that counts, and while I do appreciate them and their guidance, I still wanted them to fix my teeth because I didn't like them. I didn't see me when I looked in the mirror, so I took this opportunity to fix them myself, and let the shrinking spell go a little longer than was necessary to get my teeth back to where they were.

Professor Snape has allowed me to make up the work for the class I missed, so I better get to it. I have to write out a recipe for an antidote, and then brew it this evening, so I had better go now. I miss you, talk to you soon!

Hermione

Hermione yawned as she fed Crookshanks that morning and gave his head a scratch between the ears, smiling as his contented purr reached her ears. She'd been up late last night working on her recipe for Professor Snape after sending her letter to Oliver. She'd taken a lot of time in thinking about which antidote she wanted to do, and decided on the one from the year prior to prove that the events of last year had not diminished her memory of the lesson. She therefore used the Antidote to Uncommon Poisons that could be used if someone was bitten by a Doxy.

Pulling out her parchment, she went over it again.

Recipe for Antidote to Uncommon Poisons

Cures effect of minor poisons Color: Green Difficulty Level: Moderate Ingredients: 5 Fire Seeds Powdered graphorn (1) 3 dried Billywig stings 3 Chizpurfle Carapaces Brewing instructions: Part 1 1 Fill cauldron to half with water and place cauldron over medium heat 2. Slowly drop in 5 fire seeds, being sure not to splash once cauldron has come to a simmer. Part 2 1. Place single graphorn in mortar and powder with pestle. 2. Remove cauldron from heat once water has come to a rolling bubble. 3. Sprinkle powered graphorn into bubbling cauldron. Potion will turn a golden yellow. 4. Add 3 dried Billywig stings and return to medium heat. 5. Stir counterclockwise 7 times. Potion will turn a blue color. 6. Add 3 Chizpurfle Carapaces and stir 3 times clockwise and remove from heat. 7. Wave your wand to finish potion.

Satisfied that she hadn't missed anything, she sighed and set it aside before getting dressed. When she was finished, she stuck it in her bag with her History of Magic and Charms book and headed off for breakfast. On her way, she met Harry who was headed to the Owlery and decided to join him, sending an owl with her assignment to Professor Snape.