Chapter 90

Oliver sat at breakfast that morning with his parents for the last time when the owl fluttered down upon the rail. Recognizing it as one of the Hogwarts school owls similar to the one he received last night, he stood and went to get the message, knowing already that it was from Hermione.

"What is it dear?" Juniper asked when she saw Oliver's worried expression.

"It's Hermione," Oliver said holding up the note. "It seems the twins weren't pulling my leg last night like I thought."

"What do you mean?" Hickory asked.

"I received an owl from them late last night," Oliver said. "I thought they were pulling a prank on me, you know, a last time before I go to play for Puddlemere reserves... Well, it looks like they weren't joking."

"Joking about what, dear?" Juniper asked in confusion.

Oliver sighed and sat down, knowing he couldn't explain without telling them all he knew.

"You remember when I found out about making Puddlemere reserve team, right?"

"Of course," Juniper said. "We were at the World Cup semi-finals."

"That's where I met Viktor Krum," Oliver said. "And we hit it off and have become friends."

Hickory nodded.

"Well, I -" Oliver sighed and shook his head. "I found out from him that he was going to be at Hogwarts this year."

"For what?" Hickory asked, surprised.

"Apparently, they've brought back the TriWizard tournament this year, though the announcement hasn't been made publicly yet," Oliver said. "Anyway, I heard from the twins that Harry's name was drawn from the Goblet of Fire as a fourth champion."

"What?" Hickory asked in surprise. "That's impossible. Only three schools compete, therefore three champions."

"I don't know, all I know is Hermione's confirming it," Oliver said. "Here, see?" he finished, handing them the note.

"Well..." Juniper said. "Can't they just not allow him to compete? How dangerous is this tournament? I never heard of it before."

"That's because it was banned back in 1792, dear," Hickory said. "Too many people died. And no, they can't... not if the same rules that applied back then apply now."

"What do you mean?" Juniper asked.

Hickory sighed.

"Anyone who's name is drawn from the Goblet of Fire is bound by magical contract to compete. There's no backing out."

"Oh, dear," Juniper said, sitting back in shock. Oliver, you go write this poor girl right now."

"Yes, mum," Oliver said smiling in spite of himself, and got up from the table, glanced at the owl that was still waiting, and had obviously been directed to wait for a response.

9 September 1994

Hello Kittycat,

I wish I could be there, too, to help support you, and Harry, too. You don't have to tell me that Harry didn't enter. I don't believe he would have. It's too bad that Ron's jealousy got the better of him though.

I actually knew about it last night. The twins sent me a letter about it. I had honestly thought they were pulling my leg until you confirmed it. They said a lot of people were upset about it, not just Ron. It wasn't right of him to make you choose between Harry and him and Ginny though, especially without her input. I would try talking to them again if you haven't already.