Chapter 88

The Age Line was removed and the Goblet of Fire was levitated out into the entrance hall a short time later with the promise that it would be returned shortly after dinner and that until that time, students could continue to submit their names, provided they were of age and could cross the newly cast Age Line.

Hermione thought that everyone would notice who got up and left the hall, making speculations about what they were doing, but she was surprised that dinner seemed no more disruptive than normal, and while she observed several people getting up and making their way in and out, she noted others were too absorbed in conversations at their tables to notice.

"There's a rumor going around that Warrington got up early and put his name in," Hermione heard Dean tell Harry. "That big bloke from Slytherin that looks like a sloth."

"We can't have a Slytherin champion!" Harry protested.

"He was probably too chicken to in his name in front of everyone," Ron muttered. "Just like a Slytherin to cheat when it was announced that classes would be dismissed early for people to submit their names."

"All the Hufflepuffs over there are talking about Diggory," Seamus said with contempt. "I know we all saw it, but I wouldn't have thought he'd have wanted to risk his good looks."

"Listen!" Hermione murmured, leaning close to where Harry and Ron were talking, drawing their attention to the cheers out in the entrance hall. She looked over at the doors in time to see a tall black girl enter the hall beaming, and recognized her as she neared as Angelina Johnson, the Chaser from the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

"Well, I've done it! Just put my name in!" she said as she found a place near them.

"You're kidding!" Ron said appearing impressed.

"You're seventeen then?" Harry asked, confused.

"'Course she is, can't see a beard, can you?" Ron asked.

"I had my birthday last week," Angelina explained.

"Well," Hermione said. "I'm glad someone from Gryffindor is entering. I hope you get it, Angelina!" She forced a beaming smile, in truth, she hoped no one would get it, she still held out hope that something would go wrong and no one would be chosen, but having a Gryffindor with their name in meant that she wouldn't have to hear Harry and Ron or any of the other Gryffindors complaining about not having a candidate in the running. She just hoped that they couldn't see through her.

"Thanks, Hermione," Angelina replied, returning her smile.

"Yeah, better you than Pretty-Boy Diggory," Seamus said loudly, causing several Hufflepuffs within ear shot to scowl at him.

Hermione heard clapping again, this time it sounded more out of obligation and courtesy than any real excitement and she turned her head to see the Beaubattons students enter the hall in two lines as they had when they had first arrived, followed by Madame Maxime. Well, Hermione thought, I guess they hadn't put their names in before we got here.

After dinner and the tables had been cleared, as promised, the Goblet of Fire was returned to the Great Hall, and as Hermione looked up the row toward the front she could see the excitement in the students as many fidgeted, crouching on the benches or sitting on the tables themselves to get a better view.

"Sit down. Please," Professor Dumbledore said. "Now the moment you've all been waiting for: the champion selection."

Professor Dumbledore waved his hand toward the Goblet of Fire and the blue flames turned red and a parchment shot out that Professor Dumbledore caught before the turned blue once again. Hermione's heart sank and dread filled her as she waited for the name to ge called.