Chapter 82

*Friday, September 2nd 1994*

#1

Dear Oliver,

You probably weren't expecting to hear from me so soon after arriving at school, but I have some big news. This year when we arrived we were joined by students from Beauxbattons Academy of Magic - the school I told you about the summer after my second year, the one in France, and students from Durmstrang, including, to Ron's amazement, Viktor Krum. He was going on and on about it last night on the way up to the tower, trying to find ways to get his autograph.

They are joining us this year for the TriWizard Tournament. Some great contest - I haven't had a chance to look it up yet. It involves three challenges that are supposed to be - as Professor Dumbledore put it last night - extremely dangerous. I'm glad I don't have to worry about Harry this year. Mr. Crouch was hear talking about it last night and no one under the age of seventeen will be allowed to enter. Honestly, I think its Fred and George I'll be worrying about. They were really upset about the age limit for the tournament.

Oh, I wanted to ask you... have you ever heard of the enchanted ceiling acting strangely?

Miss you already,

Hermione

Hermione folded the note, putting it in an envelope and wrote Oliver's name on it. Moving from her bed, she got dressed and fed Crookshanks before heading down to the common room. Harry and Ron weren't there yet, so she headed off without them, intending to stop by the owlery before heading to breakfast.

"Good morning," Professor Dumbledore greeted them when he saw the students from all three schools gathered for breakfast. "Thank you all for joining us this fine morning. I have an announcement that I didn't get to last night, that I would like to address now, if you don't mind. I cut much of the announcements short due to the excitement of announcing the tournament."

Hermione shifted in her seat looking at the head table and found Mad-Eye Moody seated there. Perhaps she had been correct in her assumption last night and he was their new professor.

"I wanted to let you know," Professor Dumbledore continued, "that since the first day of term fell on a Thursday, and to give you all time to adjust to a larger student population and our new guests time to get the learn their way around, classes won't be starting until Monday morning. Madame Maxime together with Professor Flitwitck will pass out the class schedules for Beauxbattons and Ravenclaw students, while Highmaster Igor Karkaroff and Professor Snape will pass out the class schedules for Durmstrang and Slytherin students. Professor McGonagall and Professor Sprout will pass out the schedules for Gryffindor and Hufflepuff house. I ask you all to help our new friends feel welcome!"

Hermione sighed. She had been looking forward to classes starting today. Now what was she supposed to do? Shaking her head, she helped herself to breakfast and thanked Professor McGonagall when she received her schedule, looking it over as she ate. She smiled when she found that she had a lot of free time she could spend in the library. Maybe the delay in classes wouldn't be so bad after all. Finishing her breakfast, she headed over to where the twins were sitting with Lee.

"Good morning," she said as they made room for her.

"Morning Hermione," Lee said. "How was the rest of your summer? Is your foot doing any better?"

"Yes, thank you," Hermione answered.

"Your foot?" Fred asked.

"What happened to your foot?" George added.

"Oh, I fell," Hermione said sighing heavily, wishing Lee hadn't brought it up.

"What?" George asked.

"When?" Fred added.