Chapter 81

**The train, that had left Platform 9 3/4 from King's Cross Station in London, traveled northwest, through Preston and on north around the west side of what Muggles called the Cairngorms National Park, traveling on the edge of Loch Inish where Harry had sent Hedwig out with his letter to Sirius. The Hogwarts Express continued on, passing to the east of Aviemore and over the River Spey toward what Hermione knew would be Hogsmeade and later Hogwarts Castle. Many of the students of Hogwarts didn't know this, but they actually lived nearly side by side with Muggles, with only the charms of Hogwarts to protect them. In fact, she had learned from Hogwarts: A History, that the lake she and her fellow students knew as The Black Lake, many Muggles also visited, and called Loch Pityoulish. The whole trip on the Hogwarts Express from London took a little over eight hours.

In her research over the years about Hogwarts, she learned that to avoid detection of Muggles, The Hogwarts Express, which was shielded by charms that only wizards could see beyond, left the station at Kings Cross at off hours to the Muggle trains where they shared a track, and some times, deviated to their own track, going places that Muggle trains didn't. It was because of this off hour travel, that the Hogwarts Express left King's Cross Station at precisely eleven o'clock on the first day of term. This allowed them to avoid any Muggle trains on their shared tracks. This allowed them to arrive at Hogsmeade Station at approximately seven o'clock in the evening with the exception being last year when they had arrive much later due to the Dementors that stopped the train in search of Sirius Black.**

It was nearly dusk when they arrived up at the castle from Hogsmeade where they were informed by Professor McGonagall that they still had time before the Welcome Feast was to be served and that they were welcome to free time out on the grounds, and directed them toward the courtyard that led out onto the grounds and down toward the lake.

Curiously, Hermione wandered down with Harry and Ron in tow, while Ron groused about being hungry and having to wait for dinner. Hermione rolled her eyes, and it was then that her attention was caught by something in the sky that zig zagged their way, coming closer, and she squinted trying to decern what it was.

"Clear the runway!" Hagrid shouted, and Hermione looked over noticing he had large paddles in his hands before her attention was drawn back to the sky at a shrill whinny and she saw seven large flying horses zig zagging closer pulling a carriage that looked like it belong in Cinderella. The flying horses, if she rememberec correctly, were called Abraxans, though Muggles called them Pegasi, or singularly, Pegusus.

Hagrid gave a shout and dove out the way.

"Well, that's something you don't see every day," George said nearby and looked over to see him not to far away with Fred laughing, before Fred pointed out to the lake and she looked out upon the water to see what appeared to be a small raft with a rather long, billowing banner. As it drew closer, the raft suddenly shot straight up and she realized that it was a crow's nest on what looked to be an old pirate ship. With the sounds of awe around her, she was sure that she wasn't the only one that wondered what was going on, and about the presence of these newcomers. The bell chimed for dinner then, and they headed inside.

"Now that we're all settled and sorted," Professor Dumbledore said a short time after the sorting. "I'd like to make an announcement."

*The door creaked open and Mr. Filch ran up the center isle toward the teacher's table on the dais where Professor Dumbledore stood addressing them from the owl podium.

"It is my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

"What?" Harry shrieked, looking to Fred and George whose mouths fell open. Hermione just shook her head and rolled her eyes at them.