Chapter 86

Hermione was relieved that her ankle had finally healed and she had been able to meet with Madam Pomfrey and turn in the key to the Prefect's bathroom before making the long climb up the stairs to classroom 3C off the Serpentine corridor on the third floor, but that relief didn't last long.

The air was thick with apprehension as Hermione and her classmates stared at the husky, intimidating man before them. Even the Slytherins, Hermione noticed out of the corner of her eye, looked uneasy as the man's magical eye spun almost wildly, moving this way and that. It was the afternoon of Thursday, the eighth of September, and they were sitting in their first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson of the year.

*"Alastor Moody," the man said curtly as he stood before the blackboard, before turning to it, picking up a piece of chalk and writing briskly upon it as he continued to speak. "Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story. Goodbye. The end. Any questions?"

Hermione swallowed, looking around her periphery. Yes, she had questions, but like those around her, his tone held her back.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts," Professor Moody continued when no one spoke up. "I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three, sir," Hermione murmured quietly, fighting her trembling voice as unease filled her over the topic and her anxiety grew.

"And they are so named?" Professor Moody pressed.

"Because they are unforgivable," Hermione replied, her voice still trembling. "The use of any one of them will -" she broke off, unable to continue over the lump that formed in her throat at the thought.

"Earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban, correct," Professor Moody said. "Now, the Ministry says that you're too young to see what these curses do, I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared," he said turning to the blackboard. "You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!"

"No way!" Hermione heard Seamus mumble. "The old codger can see out the back of his head!"

Professor Moody turned sharply and chucked the chalk across the room at Seamus. "And hear across classrooms!" he bellowed. He waited a moment and then stalked over to the group of students. "So," he said almost casually. "Which curse shall we see first? Weasley!"

"Yes?" Ron asked fearfully.

"Stand," Professor Moody commanded.

Hermione saw Ron stand uncertainly to his feet.

"Give us a curse," Professor Moody all but purred, sending chills down Hermione's spine.

"Well," Hermione heard Ron say nervously. "My dad did tell me about one... The Imperious Curse."

"Oh yeah," Professor Moody murmured. "Your father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago... Perhaps this will show you why..."

Professor Moody turned back to his desk and Hermione took a deep breath, trying to steel herself for what she dreaded was to come. She wished she could force herself to stand, scream, leave the room far behind like she had last year with Professor Trelawney and Divination, but her body trembled at the thought and she knew she couldn't, besides, Defense Against the Dark Arts was a required class through next year... she couldn't drop it like she had Divination.

"Hello," Professor Moody crooned, causing Hermione to blink and look up to see that he had taken a large *spider out of one of the covered jars. Hermione wished she knew what kind it was, it wasn't one she recalled seeing before, so she didn't know much about it. "Engorgio," Professor Moody said, pointing his wand at it and the spider grew even larger so that they could all see it better, but still remained palm sized. "Imperio!" he said with conviction, causing the spider to shudder. He then moved his wand and the spider jumped an impossible distance from his hand onto the desk shared by Neville and Dean Thomas. With a flick of his wand, the spider jumped again, going from the desk in front of Dean to land on Crabbe's head, causing the usually tough, knuckle cracking bully to cower in fear.