Chapter 80

"Hermione, dear?" Juniper called and knocked lightly on the door. "Time to wake up, we don't want to be late."

Hermione groaned, grabbing her pillow and pulling it over her face. After a moment, the pillow came away and she exhaled heavily, staring at the ceiling, knowing she couldn't put it off. Today was the day. September first. The day she would depart for school and leave Oliver behind.

"I'm awake," she called, not having heard Juniper's footsteps, knowing the woman was still outside her door.

"All right, dear," Juniper called back, confirming her presence in the hallway. "We have a nice breakfast for you upstairs."

"Thank you," Hermione answered, sitting up and swinging her legs out of bed. She headed to the shared bathroom and looked around, making sure that she collected everything she'd had out that she didn't need every day. Picking up the toothbrush she'd left out, she used it one last time, then brushed out her hair after washing her face, packing the items in her trunk once she was done.

Deciding that she wouldn't have enough time this morning, she had soaked her ankle for the last time, just before bed, after she'd given the set of books on house elves back to Hickory, disappointed that she hadn't found any answers to the questions she had asked Cherry in them. Cherry, it turned out, was the only elf of the Wood family that she got to met during her stay, Willow was still tending to Ash in their home hidden in the wall of the mare barn.

She wished that she'd have time to visit the barn and say goodbye to the elves and the horses, but after such a long night, it didn't seem likely. Putting her brush and toothbrush into the trunk, she pulled out a comfortable pair of jeans, a freshly laundered t-shirt and a warm sweater, knowing that the train was likely to be chilly. She took her time though, dragging her feet, but inevitably, she had to go upstairs and have breakfast.

They had left the house immediately after, though it was still early. They headed to the fireplace and used the floo network, traveling to the Leaky Cauldron. Hermione looked around but didn't see anyone she recognized from school. They stayed long enough to use the facilities to clean up from using the floo before they were out on the street, trying to catch a cab.

"Oh!" Hermione heard a familiar shout as they entered Kings Cross a short time later. "There she is!"

Looking around the crowds of people moving to and fro for different platforms, Hermione spotted her parents, her mother waving at her.

"There's my mom and dad," Hermione said, pointing to the couple standing at the far end of the lobby near the platforms, the woman waving at them.

"Oh, good," Juniper said as they walked toward them. "I was hoping they'd make it early."

"Hello, Oliver," Hermione's dad said, holding out his hand to him, and Oliver shook it.

"Hello, Mr. Granger," Oliver said with a smile. "Its good to see you."

"Mom, Dad," Hermione said drawing their attention. "These are Oliver's parents, Hickory and Juniper." Hermione bit her lip, particularly at the expression on her dad's face when she introduced them, but was relieved that he didn't actually laugh, but turned his amusement into a hearty welcome and she sighed in relief that he hadn't made fun of their names publicly.

"Hello," Hermione's mom said. "I'm Linda."

"Robert," her dad said, shaking Hickory's hand.

"We want to thank you for letting Hermione come and stay with us," Juniper said, shaking Hermione's mom's hand.

"She's been such a pleasure," Hickory added.

"She's welcome any time," Juniper said.

"We're glad that she enjoyed herself," Robert answered.