Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve; News & New House Part II

Joe followed Laken into Lanyiah's office.

"Please, have a seat," Laken told him.

Joe sat down. Laken didn't say anything but pulled out an envelope from her purse. She opened the envelope and stared at what was inside of it.

Joe shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Is there a reason why you wanted to talk to me?" Joe asked, clearing his throat.

Laken glanced at Joe.

Laken said nothing for a while, and Joe remained silent as well, leaving the older woman to her thoughts.

Joe looked to his left and caught a glimpse of the picture frame of Laniyah in a hospital bed, holding a baby.

After a few minutes, Laken spoke.

"I'm gonna cut to the chase, Joe. I love my daughter and you know that as a parent when you witness your child going through something you'll do anything to protect so that's what I'm doing by sharing this with you. Galina has been consistently attacking my child and it made me wonder why has she been going so hard on Laniyah. Why is she so threatened by Laniyah? I'm sure you've been thinking the same," Laken said.

Joe's face was inscrutable as he looked at Laken.

Laniyah walked in.

"Mom, what are you doing? Why are you guys in here?" Laniyah asked as she looked from Joe to her mom.

"I'm handling things as I told you I would, Laniyah," Laken answered.

Laniyah was confused as she looked at the envelope in her mother's hands.

"Are you about to blackmail him?" Laniyah asked.

Laken smirked.

"No, just letting him know the truth," Laken answered as she handed Joe the envelope.

Joe took the envelope from Laken and opened it. Laniyah covered her mouth with her hands and gasped.

Joe stared at the contents in the envelope, feeling his throat tighten slightly.

"How did you get this?" Joe asked Laken.

"I hired a private investigator," Laken answered.

"Damn," Laniyah muttered.

Joe didn't say anything.

"I'm done with the conversation so you can return to the party," Laken said.

Joe nodded and left the room.

"Mom," Laniyah said.

"Do not say anything, Lala, you know when it comes to my kids, I'll bury me a body," Laken said.

Laniyah groaned and strode to the door, and walked through the door to chase after Joe.

"Joe," Laniyah called out as she grabbed his hand.

"What?" He asked coldly.

"I didn't know about this. I'm so sorry," Laniyah replied.

"I don't care. My world...my family has just been destroyed," Joe murmured.

Laniyah felt bad about the situation that Joe was now facing but it would have come out eventually.

"What are you going to do?" Laniyah asked.

"I don't want to think about it right now," Joe replied.

"You got to have a plan for this, Joe, this situation is very serious. There's a child involved," Laniyah said.

Joe was silent for a couple of minutes before he pulled Laniyah into a guest bedroom. Laniyah shifted uneasily, wondering what Joe was planning to do. She looked at him, trying to figure out what was on his mind.

"Joe, what are you thinking about?" Laniyah asked him.

Joe bit his lower lip.

"Can you do something for me?" Joe replied.

Laniyah shifted slightly at Joe's question.

"What is it?" Laniyah asked.

[A|N: What do you think Laken gave to Joe?]