Chapter Forty-eight

Clarke's pov

"I have absolutely no idea who you are." I said truthfully, and I watched as the woman's face fell. I looked away, towards the flap in the huge tent that we were all in. Light was pouring in through that small flap, and I gazed at it, confused. "Where are we?"

"Honey, we're on earth." Mom came to my side and took my hand. Her words didn't register, and I looked up at her with a blank expression. She looked terribly worried. "You came down on a drop ship, you explored the earth, came across the people that already lived down here, helped everyone escape from Mount Weather..." Mom trailed off when she realised that I had no idea what she was talking about. "Clarke." She breathed. "What is the last thing that you can remember?"

"My cell." I answered without hesitation. "I was in my cell."

"Shit." The girl in the back breathed, and I focused on her. She looked familiar, I'd probably seen her around the Ark before I was locked up. 

Looking around, I took in my surroundings properly. I was obviously in a space assigned for medical use, and there was only the four of us in here. Me, Mom, the Ark girl, and the one I didn't know. As my eyes passed over the stranger, I saw the heartbreak in her expression before she pulled herself together and straightened up.

"You had an accident Clarke." Mom told me, squeezing my hand. "A beam fell on your head. Part of your memory was altered. You can't remember anything about Earth."

I swallowed, glancing once more towards the flap. I wanted to see for myself.

Slipping my legs out of bed, I tested my balance before taking off across the ground towards the light. No one tried to stop me as I ran out of the tent we were in, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head. When I stepped out of the flap of the tent, blinding light hit my eyes and my body slammed to a halt, one hand flying up to shield my eyes.

I could hear wind whistling through the air, the brush of footsteps on soggy ground. People called to each other, laughing and chatting. I let my eyes adjust and then dropped my hand from my eyes. A breath huffed into my lungs as I took in what was laid out before me.

Earth.

It was beautiful. The pictures that I had seen didn't do it an ounce of justice. It was bright, endless, and full of life. Huge trees swung in the wind, branches rustling with leaves. Birds flew overhead. The sun shone in the bright blue sky.

"Clarke?" An unfamiliar voice called to me, and I looked around to see a boy around my age walking over. He had floppy brown hair and a concerned expression. "Are you alright?"

"I don't know you." I blurted out, taking a step back as he reached out a hand. The boy blinked, and I rushed to explain. "Mom says I lost any memories of earth in the accident. I don't know who you are."

"Finn." The boy said, who now had a name. "Finn Collins. I came down on the drop ship with you." I squinted at him, and he smiled. Before I even realised what my face was doing, I smiled back. Finn seemed to relax slightly.

"Are we friends?" I asked, and he chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. He had an easy going nature, and even though I knew nothing about him, I could tell that we had been friends before all this.

"Yeah, we're friends." Finn said. "That's one word for it."

I burst out laughing at his tone, and Finn laughed with me.

Lexas POV

I didn't move an inch when I heard Finn talking to Clarke outside. There was the sound of a laugh, both of them. He was flirting with my girlfriend. My girlfriend. 

Except she wasn't anymore. My Clarke was gone. This Clarke didn't even know me. My Clarke was never coming back to me. 

"I'm sorry Lexa." Raven whispered, breaking the deathly silence. "But maybe there's some way that she might get her memories back. You know, she's..."

"There's no chance." Abby cut her off. We both looked at her, eyes downcast and broken. "Clarke was struck too hard. Whatever memories she lost, they're gone, and they won't be coming back." She looked up at me, and I could see how hard she was fighting to stay in control of herself. "I'm sorry."