Chapter Seventeen

Lexas POV

*One day later*

I stood at the base of Maun-de (mount weather), staring up at the wide doors, locked against intruders. My plan had to work, or I wouldn't be able to get inside.

Hundreds of warriors stood at the opposite doors, ready for my signal. I took a deep breath, and tapped my fingers three times against my leg. There was silence for a split second, and then I heard the roar of war cries from far away.

My army was attacking the south doors, while I stood waiting at the north ones. The plan I had formulated was patchy and risky, but I would do what it took to get Clarke out alive.

Just as I predicted, Maunon (mountain men) soldiers staretd pouring out of the north gates to fight my army from behind. Just as the last soldier stepped outside, I ran behind and slipped inside.

I could not believe that hadn't spotted me. Now I had to pretend to be a confused citizen of Maun-de (mount weather). I had found the most normal clothes we had and rubbed off all my warpaint. I had done my hair how I saw Clarke had done hers in an attempt to blend in.

Walking at a normal pace down the tunnel, I found the inside door. Pulling it, I opened the door and stepped into a clean white room. The word Decontamination stood out against the harsh white walls.

The door on the other side of the room opened at my touch, and I slipped through.

I was in.

Looking down the hallway, I spotted something that looked like blood splattered along the floor. I approached carefully, but there was no need. No one was here. The blood was mixed onto the floor, among shards of glass that had fallen from a broken window set into a door.

I looked at the board next to the door and my breath caught. 

Clarke Griffin.

That's what the board said.

She had been here., and apparently broken out. I smiled to myself, of course she would.

Since there was only one way to go, I followed the hallway around a corner to an elevator. When I pressed the button, the doors slid open after a minute. I stepped in and studied the numbers.

Where would Clarke go?

I pressed number six, the lowest there way. The lift started to move.

When the doors opened, I knew I had made a mistake. The doors opened into a large room, filled with soldiers. 

Shit.

They spotted me immediately, but must have thought I was a citizen.

"Can I help you miss?" The nearest soldier asked.

I didn't say anything.

"Wait!" Another soldier yelled. "I know her! She's the Grounders' leader!"

I cursed under my breath and pressed the button to close the lift. The doors slid closed, but not fast enough. A soldier grabbed my wrist and pulled me forward. Pulling out my concealed dagger, I plunged the knife into his chest.

Blood splattered the floor as I pulled out the dagger, ready to take on the next who dared to challenge me. Two soldiers decided to try and take me. I swiped the blade towards the first, cutting his leg deeply. He fell, and did not stand again.

The other pulled a gun out of hic pocket, and pointed it at my face from less than a metre away.

I froze.

He grinned, a wide triumphant smile. I took a risk, and threw my dagger at his heart.

He was dead before he hit the floor. But more stepped over his body and rushed at me. I knew that I couldn't kill them all on my own. I ran around them, narrowly avoiding being taken down by a swinging fist.

I had just made it to the door when something slammed into the space between my shoulderblades. It can't have been a bullet or a person. Almost immediately, I fell to the ground, my eyes slipping closed.

*

A banging noise woke me. I sat up fast, and smashed my head on something above my head. Wincing slightly, I looked around.

I was in a small cage, and all around me were more cages, each one containing a person. Cages were everywhere, lining the walls and stacked up high.

A groan to my left caught my attention, and I squinted in the gloom.

"Anya?" I gasped, recognising the hunched figure. Anya looked up and her fearful eyes met mine.

"Lexa." She murmured, sliding across her cage. "No, no. Why are you here?"

"I came to find you and Clarke." I told her. She shook her head and buried her face in her hands. She looked so weak, what had they been doing to her?

A rattling noise made me turn, and I looked over to see a door opening. Through it stepped a person in a long white medical coat. They made their way to a machine and pressed a button. A section of the room lit up.

In that section, two people were hung upside down, with tubes coming out of them.

They were draining their blood.

My people, I recognised them now by their warpaint I could see on their upside down, lifeless faces. Angered, I smashed my hands against the side of my cage and rattled the bars, screaming at the woman. She came over and smirked at me.

"I heard you were here, the commander of the ground." She told me. "I think it's your turn, don't you think?"

Anya stiffened at her words and lunged for the woman. Of course, the bars stopped her before she could get anywhere. Did she mean, did she want me to be strapped up, lifeless and being drained for blood.

Why would they want our blood?

Before I could think further, the woman unlocked my cage and pulled my arm hard. I tumbled to the ground, landing badly on my arm.

"I will kill all of you!" I growled at the woman.

She didn't respond, just pulled me by the arm to the machines. Whatever they knocked me out with was so strong that I still couldn't move properly. The woman pushed me to the ground and moved to de-attach one of the dead people hanging from the machine.

When she managed toremove all of the tubes, the person tumbled to the ground. I crawled over and closed their eyes. I recognised this person, one of my warriors that had gone missing days ago.

"Yu gonplei ste odon." I whispered for them.

The woman grabbed me again and I struggled away from her. For obvious reasons, I did not want to be strapped up to a machine that drained my blood. Annoyed, the woman hit me over the head with something until I couldn't fight her.

She lifted me by my feet and hung me by the ankles from the machine. I felt small stabs all over my body as she inserted tubes into me.

"Start draining sequence." She commanded, and the computer beeped. I felt the machine whir to life, and then the tubes I could see filled with black blood. The woman left, closing the door behind her.

I hung for a few minutes, slowly getting drowsy. Just before I slipped away again, I heard another door open and heard someone gasp in horror.