Chapter Five

Clarkes POV

"Excuse me?" I asked. "Do you mean me?"

The woman nodded, straightening out of her defensive position. I saw now that she was holging a dagger, with two swords strapped to her back. She had light brown hair that flowed past her shoulders and she had what looked like warpaint smeared around her eyes.

"What is your name?" She asked, pulling my attention back to her face.

"Um, I'm Clarke, Clarke Griffin. Who are you?"

"I am Anya." She said. "A general under the Heda's protection, so if you hurt me, you will die."

I looked towards the others, who were slowly coming up behind me.

"Sorry, what's a Heda?" I asked and Anya stiffened.

"Heda is the commander of the twelve clans. You will speak of her with respect or I will cut off your head." I blinked at her protective words but didn't question her. She looked like she could - and would - cut off my head if I gave her the chance.

"So, mind explaining how you're alive?" Octavia said loudly from behind me. "There's not supposed to be any people down here. Anya's gaze flicked behind me to scrutinize Octavia.

"We are told that a Commander from space came down after the attack to save us. That is all we know. What matters is that we survived. Who are you?" She asked as an afterthought - probably gathering information for this, Heda person.

"Octavia Blake, and that's Finn..." She pointed. "Jasper, Monty and Wells. By the way, wicked face paint. Where can I get some?" She was being sarcastic now and I feared this might anger Anya - who had three very sharp looking knives. Anya just sniffed in dissaproval but let it go.

"Heda wishes to speak to you." She said, turning to me.

"Me, why?"

"Because you are the leader of the skai (sky) people."

"It's true Clarke." Wells said from behind me. "You are. Because people look up to you." When I looked back, I saw that everyone was agreeing with Wells. I was astounded.

"But, but I'm not a leader. Wells could be a leader, or Bellamy, or..."

"Bellamy is the tall one at your ship?" Anya butted in? I hesitated.

"Yes."

"Good. Now, if you would come with me, Clarke, Heda wishes to speak to you."

"Hey!" Finn called, stepping forward and grabbing my wrist. "She's not going with you, how do we know if we can even trust you." At his words, Anya glared and took a threatening step towards him.

"If Heda wishes to speak to the leader of the skai (sky) people, I will deliver them to her unharmed. Otherwise, I would be going against Heda's orders, and I will be punished."

I heard genuine truth in Anya's words, so I gently pried Finn's hand off my arm. He looked at me - afraid.

"It's okay." I told him. "She won't hurt me."

"I'm coming with you." Wells stepped forward. "I don't care what she says. I'm coming." I looked to Anya for permission and she nodded grudgingly.

"Whoever wants to come may come." She spoke louder. "Heda may only speak with one of you, but she will not mind."

"Then I'm coming too." Said Finn.

Octavia, Jasper and Monty all stepped forward at the same time.

"We'll all stick together." Octavia told Anya, and she nodded.

"Follow me." We all trudged out of the water and gathered up our clothes. Anya waited - looking impatient - as we tried to dry ourselves off and pulled on our clothes. When we were all ready, Anya nodded at us and motioned for us to follow her into the forest.

*

Lexas POV

When the news arrived by scout that Anya was bringing the skai (sky) leader, I was surprised. I didn't think Anya would approach them so soon.

"Heda." The guard outside my tent greeted me as I passed.

"Gustus." I said back, pushing aside the flap and stepping inside. My second throne had been brought along and was sitting in the middle of the tent, up against the wall of cloth. I only had a few minutes before the skai (sky) girl would pass through the guards posted at the edges of the camp.

Hurrying slighty, I pulled my armour from the stack in the corner and strapped my sword to my back - just in case. If these skai (sky) people were anything like the Maunon (mountain people), they could have advanced weapons. I would be taking no risks.

As I was strapping my red sash to my shoulder guard, I heard voices outside and hurried to sit on my throne. Gustus entered the tent and I stood to meet him. We grasped forearms and then he stepped back.

"Heda, they are almost here. Scouts reported seeing them one kilometre down the road."

"Thank you Gustus." I hoped they would not be angry that I had asked to speak to them. The last group that we found in the woods were not so reasonable.

"There is something else you should know Heda." Gustus seemed nervous, as if I would punish him for bringing this news. "Anya did not just bring the leader. She brought the leader, and five others."

"Five!" I was shocked. Even Anya would not leave herself so outnumbered. Perhaps these people carried no weapons.

"Sha (yes) Heda. If you prefer, I could have the extras wait farther back?"

"No." Since Anya went to the trouble to bring six instead of one, I would speak to all of them together. "Bring them all in." Gustus nodded and left to inform the other guards of my descision.

I paced around my tent, suddenly afraid about meeting these people. They were from space, somewhere our people could only imagine being. We didn't know what these people were like, if they were even happy about meeting me. They could have weapons to kill us all. After another ten minutes, another guard entered my tent and bowed to me.

"Heda, the skai (sky) people are here."

"Have they been searched for weapons?" I wanted to take extra precautions just in case.

"Sha (yes) Heda."

"Good. Send them in." The guard nodded his head and left the tent. I sat back on my throne and waited for them. It was only a minute more before I heard unfamiliar voices outside. They were mixed with orders from guards and Anya speaking harshly to them. The tent flap opened, and Anya stepped in.

"Heda." She nodded respectfully at me. I nodded back and looked behind her to the skai (sky) people. There was indeed six of them , but no clear leader. I wondered which one it was.

There was four boys and two girls. One boy had strange goggles on his face and I thought that maybe this was a sign that he was the leader. I stood as they approached, and Anya walked forward. She took my arm and grasped it. 

"Which of you is the leader?" I asked the group of skai (sky) people. They parted, letting one person through. She stepped forward, looking slightly scared.

She was beautiful.