Chapter Twenty-Two

Clarkes POV

I hated the look on her face as I walked away. She looked sad, and I wanted to run back to her.

But I needed to go back, back to the place I had once called my home. I would leave as soon as mum would let me, and go back to Lexa.

"You look sad Clarke." Mum noted, walking next to me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I sighed. I couldn't tell her the real reason for my sadness, Lexa and I weren't ready for that yet. Mum raised her eyebrows and I knew that I wasn't fooling her.

"Clarke. There has never been anything that you couldn't tell me." She was right, I had always told her everything. But I couldn't.

Even though I hated lying to her, I had too. For Lexa.

"I'm fine, really." I said, faking a smile. "Just, overwhelmed." She would probably buy that, for now.

I fell silent and we walked together through the trees. Every now and then, a noise or flash of colour would catch my eye and I would look up hopefully, thinking that Lexa had followed me. But it was always just an irregular shaped tree, or an animal running away.

"Are you looking for someone?" Mum asked after I ifted my head for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"Kind of." I lied again. "Just, I keep thinking I see the others. But they're all at Mount Weather." Mum frowned and I knew she didn't like the fact that so many teenagers were being held there.

"We'll have to find a way for them to come back." She said eventually, and I pursed my lips together. Now was probably not the right time to tell her what had happened, what I saw inside the mountain. 

I only nodded, telling myself that I would tell her when we got back to the Ark. It was a surprisingly short journey, not even half an hour later we stepped out of the woods and I saw it.

The Ark.

It was mostly intact but I noticed a few stations were missing. They must have detached during the landing. Everyone tramped through the gates that had been constructed outside, and peeled off in small groups to go who knows where.

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Clarke." Mum said. "You've had a hard day I bet. You should rest." I raised my eyebrows, she had no idea. But I didn't question her, I was tired. She led me to a compartment and I saw with delight that it was the same one we had lived in when the Ark was in space.

"Thank you." I murmured, taking in the sight of my old room. Mum smiled at me and left me to sleep, closing the door behind me.

Suddenly exhausted, I took off my boots and chucked them into the corner. Remembering I had weapons strapped to my back and hips, I shuffled out of my hip sheath and lay it on the table that was bolted to the floor.

I struggled slightly to take off my shoulder sheath, and with a pang, I remembered Lexa helping me put it on earlier. Biting my lip, I eventually managed to take it off and I lay it on the table aswell. Now weapon free, I lay down on my bed and curled up underneath the thin covers.

*

I slept soundly and had no dreams, at least not any that I could remember. When I woke in the morning, I instantly looked around, sure that someone was watching me. There was that nagging feeling in the back of my mind.

Mum was sitting on the chair at the table, running her fingers over my sword.

"I didn't mean to wake you up." She whispered, coming over and sitting next to me. I smiled and she stroked my hair. "What's with all the weapons Clarke?"

"To defend myself." I explained, sitting up. "If I didn't have a sword, I'd probably be dead twice over."

Mum pursed her lips but didn't say anything else. She probably didn't like her teenage daughter walking around with a massive sword, but she knew I was probably right.

"I'll leave you to get dressed." She said, before getting up and leaving the room. I swung my legs out of bed and stood, stretching my limbs as I did so. A pile of fresh clothes stood at the end of my bed but I ignored them, going for my armour instead.

It made me feel closer to Lexa.

As I strapped it on, I considered putting my weapons back on. Then I decided against it. I made to leave, but hesitated. After a moment of consideration, I strapped my hip sheath on, but under my clothes so mum wouldn't see it.

When I emerged from my room, mum frowned at my choice of clothing but didn't say anything.

"We need to send out a team to get food for everyone." She said. "I assume you know more about what's edible here?"

"Kind of." I didn't know much, but I probably knew more than everyone else here. "I'll try I guess." Mum nodded.

"Thank you." She smiled warmly at me. "Now, I need to go to a council meeting. Will you be okay for an hour or so?"

"The whole council made it?"

"Yes."

"Wow." That was impressive. There had been a lot of people who didn't make it, judging by the population now. "Yeah, I'll be fine."

"Don't go out the gates." She cautioned me before leaving. I laughed quietly to myself, I knew how to handle myself out there.

I stood alone in our compartment for a few minutes before deciding I couldn't stay here. Pulling the door open, I walked out of the door and then out of the Ark. People were everywhere, mostly building things.

Over in the corner must be the medical tent, it had a big red plus sign on it. I was surprised at how far they've come so far, considering the must have only been here a few days at most.

"Clarke?" Someone asked. "Clarke Griffin?" I turned ans saw a completely unfamiliar person coming towards me.

"Yes." I confirmed. "Can I help you?"

"My name is Hannah Green." She introduced herself. "Have you seen my son, Monty?"

I blinked, and then saw the resemblance between her and Monty.

"Yes. Last time I saw him, he was completely fine."

"Where is he now?"

"He's at Mount Weather." I didn't add that he could be in danger, no need to cause panic. Montys mother nodded and thanked me before scurrying off back to her work. I continued to stroll around the Ark, taking in the sight.

A sudden shout from the gates caught my attention. I looked over to see a couple of guards pointing their guns at something, or someone.

"Don't shoot until I say." One of the guards - who must be in charge - said. I could see now that they were pointing their guns at a person. They approached the gate slowly, and stopped many metres away.

"They have a weapon!" Another guard shouted. 

"Aim your weapons!" The leader commanded.

I suddenly recognised the figure, and scrambled for the gate.

"Don't shoot!" I yelled, pulling at the gate . I managed to pull the gate open enough so I could slide through.

"Miss, stand down!" A guard commanded me, but I took no notice of him. I only paused long enough to speak again.

"Do not shoot." I said in my most authoritative voice.

And then I ran. I ran for her, and she ran for me.

We collided with each other halfway.

I hugged her tightly and felt her arms wrap around my shoulders, holding me close.

"Clarke." Lexa breathed out happily.