Chapter Twenty-Six

Lexas POV

I was very surprised when Clarkes mother believed that I really was teaching Clarke how to fight. If she had known anything about training, she would have known that we never train inside. But she was from space, so she must have assumed that this was normal.

She also agreed an alliance to get all of our people out of Maun-de (mount weather). I knew she would have to clear things with their council before we went forward, but I was pleased at her easy agreement. They had guns, something we did not possess.

When she left, Clarke closed the door behind her and sighed in relief.

"Remind me to thank Raven later." She smiled and I smiled back.

"We should..." I took a deep breath. "Probably tell your mother at some point. She's going to suspect something eventually." Clarke nodded and she frowned.

"I just, I don't know how to tell her. She doesn't know that I'm...you know." I nodded. "But you're right. We'll tell her soon."

I knew Clarke wouldn't make the descision of exactly when to tell her yet, but that was fine by me.

"Do you want to actually teach me to fight?" Clarke asked, alomst timidly. "If you want too. Anya didn't get up to fighting."I smiled and nodded.

"Sure. Do you have any training sticks?"

"No." Clarke thought for a second. "But we can probably find some fallen sticks at the edge of the forest."

We headed out of her room and crossed to the main door. Clarke held it open for me and then closed it behind her. I let her lead, having no idea where I was going. We emerged out of the Ark and headed straight for the gate.

The guards opened it for us as we approached, probably scared that I would threaten to kill them again.

"We'll be right back." Clarke explained as we passed. "We're just going to get some sticks." The guards nodded and didn't question it, even though they looked very confused.

Clarke let me lead now, since I had more practice in the woods. I would be able to sense any danger faster than she could. Along the treeline were several fallen branches. Clarke picked up one and held it up.

"Is this one good?" She asked.

"Sha (yes). We should get several each in case they break."

Clarke smiled and picked up another stick. I found three that were the right length for me and we headed back to the gate. Once inside, I headed for an area that didn't seem to have any purpose at the moment. It was fine for training on.

"So, what first?" Clarke asked excitedly. I smiled at her enthusiasm.

"First, we fight." I told her, and she frowned.

"But shouldn't we..."

"I need to gauge your skill." I told her. "To see what I need to train you in."

Clarke nodded, seeing the logic in my statement. She chose one of her sticks and moved opposite me. Almost immediately, I noticed that her stance was slightly off. I made a note to correct her later.

I moved opposite her, holding a stick high. We started to circle each other, and I played my favourite fighting technique. I would circle until the other person lost patience and attacked. Clarke noticed almost immediately and I saw the resolve in her eyes.

She swung her stick, and I brought mine up to block it. Our sticks connected with a sharp noise, and I almost stumbled backwards. Clarke was a lot stronger than I thought. I had to change my technique - my natural one worked only if I was stronger than my opponent. 

I hadn't had to change my technique in a long time. Clarke saw me falter and smiled to herself. I saw an opening in her defense and swung my stick around. It bumped against the side of her stomach and I grinned at her.

"Watch yourself niron (loved one)." I said, and Clarke tried not to smile. She covered it up with an attempt at a glare, but I laughed at her.

"Again." She declared, and we took up our starting positions again. This time, Clarke wasted no time in her attack. She rushed at me, surprising me. I brought my stick up to block hers but I could never have guessed what she would do next.

Clarke aimed her stick towards my ankles and quite literally swept me off my feet. I thudded into the ground on my back. Clarke grinned in triumph, and gently pressed the end of her stick to my stomach. I gritted my teeth slightly as her stick rubbed against the wound in my stomach. Clarke noticed, and immediately mover her stick.

"Lexa, I'm so sorry. I forgot. We should..."

"I am fine Clarke." I interrupted. She stuck out a hand and helped me off the ground.

"No. I probably didn't do a good enough job when I stitched you up." She said, dropping her stick. "We should have my mum have a look at it."

I tried to object but Clarke held up a hand, silencing me. There was no point arguing, I could see that now. I sighed and followed her as she half-dragged me to the tent with the big red cross on it. When we stepped inside, Clarkes mother looked up from where she sat.

"Are you okay?" She directed her question at Clarke.

"I'm fine." Clarke said, letting my arm go. "But I was wondering of you could have a look at Lexa. She had a training injury a couple of days ago and I'm not sure I patched it up right."

This was the first time I ever saw suspicion in her eyes. Clarkes mother looked between us, her eyes slightly narrowed. I fidgeted under her gaze until she looked away.

"Sure." She said, and motioned to a makeshift bed. "Sit on this and I'll have a look." Clarke nudged me and I crossed the room to sit on the bed. I took off the armour covering my wound and lay it on the bed next to me. Rolling up my shirt slightly, I revealed the long cut.

Mrs Griffin frowned at it, and then got a cloth and a bucket of water. She cleaned the blood from around the cut, probably so she could see how bad it really was.

"You did fine Clarke." She said without looking up. "The stitches should have worked. I wonder why they tore."

"Probably because there was a battle." I remember the stitches in my stomach tearing as I fought the Maunon (mountain men). "That's why. I was fighting."

"You shouldn't have done that. You should have stayed out of the fight." Mrs Griffin told me almost sternly. I gritted my teeth.

"Ai laik Heda. Non na throu duan gon ai. (I'm the commander. No one fights for me)" I heard Clarke whisper a translation to her mother.

"Well, try and stay out of battle for a few more weeks. They should be fine." 

"Mo...Thank you Mrs Griffin." I said, remembering to speak english.

"Call me Abby." She said as I pulled my shirt down and put my armour back on.

"Abby." I smiled and she gave me a tiny smile back.

"Abby!" A man yelled, running into the tent. "Come quickly! One of the guards has been attacked, by one of the grounders!"