Chapter Forty-Two

Lexas POV

Clarke stepped into the room and surveyed the scene, her eyes horrified. I sobbed in relief as her eyes met mine, and she rushed forward. Finn threw down the knife and made a run for it, and Clarke changed her path. They crashed into each other, and Clarke managed to pin him down.

"No way are you getting away with this, asshole." She growled, before knocking him out with a punch that must have hurt.

A wave of dizziness washed over me, and I slumped in my chair again. Clarke rushed to my side and quickly untied the ropes from my wrists and ankles. Without the ropes holding me up, I fell towards the floor. Clarke caught me before I could hit the floor, holding me gingerly.

"We need to get you to my mother." She whispered, trying to help me stand. I tried as hard as I could, but my legs didn't want to work properly.

"I can't." I mumbled, and Clarke lifted her arms, cradling me like a baby. I wanted to protest, but that wouldn't have done any good. Clarke opened the door with a kick, and walked quickly through the Ark, trying not to bump me around too much.

As she carried me out of the Ark, people stared and whispered as we passed. Clarke ignored them, and she carried me into the medical tent.

"Clarke! But..." Her mother gasped, looking up from where she was leaning over a patient.

"No time." Clarke pleaded. "Help her, please." Her mother nodded, and Clarke gently set me down on a nearby bed. The motion made my head spin again and I felt the blackness start to pull me down. But I had to say something first,

"Clarke." I whispered, waiting until she looked at me. "Thank you for finding me." Clarke whispered something back, but I was too far gone to hear it.

*

There was pain in my arms, pain in my legs, all over my stomach and back. I woke gasping, shaken from a nightmare when multiple Finns tortured me.

"Hey, hey it's okay." I heard Clarkes voice soothing me, and then her hand stroking my hair. I opened my eyes and saw her sapphire eyes next to mine. She smiled sadly at me, and leaned forward to kiss my forehead. "I thought I'd lost you. You'd lost so much blood."

"I'm fine Clarke. Or should I say that I'm alive." I corrected myself. "If it weren't for you I would be dead, so thank you for coming."

"I wouldn't do anything else." She reached for my hand and held it gently. I looked down at myself and saw many bandages covering most of my body. Luckily, I didn't think I needed any stitches.

Finn had made sure that I would stay alive for longer. I wondered what had happened to him, maybe they had locked him up, or even killed him.

"What happened to Finn?" I asked Clarke, who frowned unhappily.

"He's in the jail. No one really knows what to do with him to be honest." She considered for a minute. "I want him to be locked up forever."

I nodded, agreeing. We didn't say anything for a while, until someone else entered the room. Clarkes mother came up to my bed and leant over me, checking to make sure nothing else had happened.

"How are you feeling Lexa?" She asked.

"I'm fine I guess." I shrugged, and then winced as something hurt. "They're mostly shallow cuts." Abby nodded.

"You'll be able to get up and move around in a few days, and be fine in another few weeks. You might have a few scars though."

I shrugged, not caring. As Heda, I had many scars already. I didn't care about a few more. Abby looked me over once more and then left, leaving Clarke and I alone. Clarke reached over and took my hand, tracing patters on the back of it with her thumb.

"Can't I ever have a normal day anymore." She said. I gave her a look.

"Clarke, you're dating the Heda, lots of people want lots of people to die, and you're on the ground. You will never have a normal day." Clarke laughed and shook her head fondly at me.

"I was being sarcastic." 

"Oh." I frowned, feeling stupid. "Okay." Clarke laughed again and leaned forward. Her kiss was brief, but very sweet. She pulled away only after a few seconds, and grinned at me.

"You're cute when you don't understand things." She told me.

"Ai laik Heda (I am Heda), Clarke. I am not cute."

"You're cute." Clarke tapped my nose. "You're like a racoon."

"How am I like a racoon?" I wrinkled my nose. I wasn't at all like a racoon.

"Your warpaint." Clarke shrugged. "It kind of reminds me of a racoon."

I huffed and turned my face away, playing at being mad. I heard Clarke giggle behind me, but I refused to look at her. After a moment, I felt her fingers on my chin, gently pulling my face around. I let her, but I almost jumped when she pulled my head around and she was very close to me.

"Okay." She whispered. "You're not a cute racoon. You're the terrifying Heda."

"Better." I mumbled back, leaning forward until my lips pressed softly to hers. I felt her smile against my lips and her hand snaked around my back to hold my face closer to hers.

"Luckily I'm in a different room, otherwise I'd have to look at that all the time." Someone complained, breaking us apart. We both looked around to see Charlotte - with a stick as a walking device - standing only metres away.

I flushed but Clarke didn't move, unashamed. Charlotte grinned at the expression on my face. She hobbled over, sitting down on the edge of my bed.

Someone entered the tent behind her and I looked up to see Bellamy. Clarke stiffened when she saw him and drew away from me.

"Clarke." He sighed in relief. "You have to help me."

"What is it?" She asked, slightly harsh.

"It's Octavia. She's gone missing."