Chapter Nineteen

Lexas POV

As I jumped, I heard one of the soldiers call out to Clarke. She turned, and I felt her hand slip from mine. I fell alone towards the water, hitting it with a sharp splash.

I emerged, gasping. When I looked up at the tunnel opening, I sighed in relief when I saw Clarke tumbling down. She hit the water a few metres away, and I swum to her as she surfaced. Wiping her hair out of her eyes, her eyes lit up at the sight of me.

"Lexa." She breathed. I reached up and stroked the side of her face. Clarke smiled and then I felt her arms wrap around my waist underwater.

"Heda!" Anya called. I looked around to see her pointing at a group of Maunon (mountain men) soldiers that were combing the woods. They were looking for us.

Clarke pulled me towards the bank and we stumbled out of the water. Raven jerked her head towards the woods in the other direction.

"Shall we?" She asked. We staretd running through the woods, trying to get away from the soldiers. Raven led, she was probably trying to find her way back to her ship. No one questioned her as we ran through the trees.

I could sense it when we had finally lost the Maunon (mountain men). There were no more sounds coming from behind us. Anya and I both noticed at the same time when we neared our camp.

"Clarke." I murmured. "I know Raven wants to get back to her ship, but can we at least stop at our camp first?"

"Yeah." She said. "I need clothes." She was wearing some kind of yellow gown that looked very out of place.

Raven heard our conversation and silently agreed. Anya led the way and soon we were at the gates. Two guard stood on either side and their eyes widened as they spotted me.

"Heda." One of them said. "You have returned." I nodded at them as I passed through the gates. Gustus met me inside the gates and took in Clarke, Raven and Anya.

"Gustus." I said. "We will be leaving again shortly. The skai (sky) girl Raven," I motioned to Raven. "She needs to visit her ship. We are only here to gather clothes and weapons."

"Of course Heda." Gustus nodded and followed me to the tent where we kept the clothes and armour. I entered, and handed Clarke a big pile. A smaller pile I gave to Raven, who already had normal clothes on. Anya found her spare armour in the corner and headed off to put it on. I showed Raven into Clarkes tent and we left her to get changed.

Clarke and I changed in my tent, turning our backs on each other as we did so. When we were done, we left the tent to find Gustus waiting for us with weapons. Anya and Raven were already fitted with swords and daggers, Raven looking uncomfortable.

I helped Clarke slide her sword into its sheath before sliding my own into place. Gustus stopped in front of me.

"Heda?" He asked. "When will you return?"

"I don't know." I admitted. "Within a few days."

Gustus nodded and escorted us as we made our way to the gate. Before we left, I stepped forward and grasped his forearm.

"Leidon (goodbye) Gustus." I said. He nodded his head and watched as we made our way back into the forest. Raven led the way again and we walked in silence. Clarke took my hand and I smiled to myself.

After about an half an hour of walking, we emerged into a clearing. There was a huge object in the middle, which I assumed was the dropship. Raven let out a long sigh and darted inside the ship.

Clarke looked around, taking in the sight. The people that had been here had built a tall fence all around, and seemed to have a pretty good systen going.

"They did so much." Clarke whispered. Just then, Raven burst out of the dropship, cursing loudly.

"Those bloody mountain people stole our radios and communication to the Ark." She fumed. Clarke blinked.

"You have communication with the Ark?" She sounded really surprised.

"We did." Raven said. "Video connection and everything. By the way, your mum told me to tell you that she loves you."

Clarkes eyes filled with tears and she nodded, turning away so Raven wouldn't see her tears. Not like Raven even noticed, she stormed back into the dropship.

"Um, Heda?" Anya said. "I'm going to look around, do some scouting." I nodded and watched as Anya strode off. She didn't really want to scout, but she wanted to give Clarke and I some space.

Clarke slumped, sitting down on a nearby log. I sat next to her and pulled her closer. She rested her head on my shoulder.

"I never got to talk to her." She mumbled against me. "I never got to tell her that I loved her too."

I didn't quite know how to respond, so I stayed silent, gently stroking her hair with one hand. We sat quietly for a few minutes until Clarke lifted her head from my shoulder.

"Do you think I'll ever see her again?" I knew she couldn't possibly believe that I had the answer to her question, but I told her anyway.

"Of course." I murmured reassuringly. "Of course you will." Clarke smiled at me and leaned closer.

Her lips touched mine and electricity swept through my body. I could taste the salt of her tears on her lips. Clarke reached up and entwined her fingers through my hair, stroking it gently. She sighed in content, and I smiled against her lips.

I pressed my forehead to Clarkes and breathed out a happy sigh. Clarke giggled and I leant forward to kiss her again.

A sudden voice broke up apart, and we looke around in bewilderment.

"There's no one here!" An unfamiliar voice called. I think Clarke recognised it though, because she stiffened and her eyes flicked to the gate. She let me go and stood up as a man walked through the gate. Clarke gasped and the man heard.

He looked over and his eyes widened in surprise.

"Clarke Griffin?" He asked in disbelief. Clarke nodded and the man turned to someone behind him. "Abby?" He called.

A woman fast walked through the gate, and Clarke took a step forward.

"Mum." Her voice broke and tears slid down her cheeks.