Chapter Three

Lexas POV

Anya stepped forward when I entered the throne room. She held out her arm and I grasped it in a sign of respect.

"Heda." She said. "I have much to report."

"Let us sit then." I motioned towards the table and she sat opposite me. "What do you have to report?"

"Heda, a strange object has landed in Trikru land. It appears to be from space."

"Space?" I asked, twirling my favourite dagger on the table.

"Sha (yes) Heda. There are many new people. We estimate around one-hundred. They do not seem to know we are here, nor how to survive. I have left scouts to observe them."

"Is there a clear leader?" I wanted to speak to these space people.

"Not yet, though we have identified a few that seem higher up in rank than the others. One of them has just left their camp, we suspect to find water. She travels with five others."

"Have you sent scouts after them?"

"Sha (yes). They will report back tomorrow. Until then, maybe you should consider speaking with these skai (sky) people."

I nodded and stood again.

"Thank you Anya, you may go now." She stood, grapsed my forearm for a moment, and then departed. I walked across the large room to the balcony. Standing at the edge, I looked down into the throng of people below. They milled around at the market, buying, selling and talking. I noticed a certain spot that people avoided that was stained a dark colour. That must be the space that people landed when I kicked them off the balcony.

"Heda."

I turned to see Titus standing in the middle of the throne room. He nodded respectfully at me as I approached.

"Titus." I greeted him.

"Heda, I'm worried about this news about skai (sky) people. News had spread through Polis and the rumours are growing more obscene."

"I will make an announcement to the clans about these people once I have more information." I told him. "It will take a few days. We do not know much about them."

"What about speaking with their leader?"

"I am working on it Titus." I snapped. "Do you expect me to capture their leader to talk to them? To make this faster?"

"No Heda."

"Good. Their leader will speak with me willingly, and I will make an announcement when I am ready."

Titus bowed his head and retreated quickly. The door closed with a thud behind him. I sighed and sat down on my throne. So much had happened in the last day, and soon the people of Polis would demand answers from me. Perhaps I should call a meeting of the clans.

*

Clarkes POV

Everyone had stopped walking when I collapsed against a tree. My head was whirling too fast for me to stand, so Wells helped me to sit down.

"What's wrong with her?" Monty whispered to Wells.

"She's in shock." He explained.

I just sat there, tears streaming down my face. The realisation that is was my mum's fault that my dad was dead caused fractures across my heart. I understood now why Wells had let me believe that it was him. So I wouldn't hate my mum.

"Wells." I whispered.

"Yeah?" He sat next to me. The others walked a slight distance away to give us some privacy.