Chapter Twenty-Eight

Lexas POV

I tramped through the woods, stopping occasionally when I found a source of water. It took me less than an hour to reach Trikru camp.

"Heda. Monin hou.(welcome back)" One of the guards said as I approached. I nodded at him and entered the gate. I saw a messenger run off and assume he was alerting Gustus to my return. Good, I needed to speak with Gustus.

Indra approached and I nodded at her.

"Heda." She said. "There had been rumours going around that you had been captured by the skai (sky) people." I frowned.

"No, I went willingly. I am glad you are still here Indra. We are to schedule an execution."

Her eyebrows lifted but she didn't ask who. She kenw she would find out shortly. 

"Heda." Gustus greeted, stopping infront of me. "You have returned." 

With one quick movement, I swiped my sword out of its sheath and held it to Gustus' throat. His eyes widened and he froze. I saw many people pause, wanting to see what would happen. 

"Gustus kom Trikru." I called, loud enough for everyone nearby to hear. "Kom natronanes gon yu Heda en yu kru, yu nau na tiek in wamplei kom thauz kodon. (for treason against your commander and your people, you will now suffer death by a thousand cuts.)

Gustus had no visible alarm at my declaration, perhaps he was expecting it.

"Disha hukop na frag yu op, Heda. Ai nou don na teik em kom au. (This alliance will cost you your life, commander. I couldn't let that happen)" He said.

I ignored him, and motioned for my guards to take Gustus away. He went willingly enough, as they dragged him through the village to the long pole that had been set up. It hadn't been used much, I only ordered an excecution when it was absolutely necessary.

"Heda." Indra followed me as I started after the guards. "What did Gustus do?"

"He attacked our alllies without provocation." I explained. "His victim may or may not live." Indra nodded, she knew that this was the most common cause for executions - turning against your allies. 

The execution would take place soon, but first I entered my tent for my warpaint. I must appear strong as I executed an old friend, and warpaint was one way to do that. With more caution than I needed, I slowly applied the warpaint around my eyes and down my cheeks.

When I was done, I left my tent and found Indra waiting for me with a sword. It was the one I only used at executions. Maybe it was silly, but I didn't want the same sword I killed my enemies with to kill my people.

"Mochof (thank you) Indra." I murmured as I took the sword from her. She was right behind me as I passed through the village. I could see the pole - with Gustus tied to it - a few tents away when I was stopped.

"Heda!" Anya called. I turned, and she was walking towards me. She held out her arm and I held it for a second. Then we let each other go and she stepped back. 

No one said anything, so after a moment I nodded and turned to go. Anya fell into step behind me and we walked together to where a large crowd had gathered. They parted when they saw me, giving me a clear line to where I could see Gustus.

He was tied, his hands high above his head and his feet were tied tightly to the base of the pole. I held back a guilty feeling and covered it up with a hard glare. As I stopped in front of him, he looked straight at me and I could see the first hint of fear on his face.

"Ai moba. (I'm sorry)"  I whispered so only he could hear. Gustus nodded.

"You're doing what you have too Heda." He said, just as quiet. "I respect your choices." I nodded and then stapped back to let the first person step forward.

Even though I didn't want too, I watched as person after person stepped up with a knife. I watched as cut after cut appeared over Gustus' body. As he winced when each person dragged a blade over his skin. 

By the time the last person had stepped forward, Gustus was panting, hunched over as much as the ropes would allow. When the person joined the crowd again, no one else stepped forward. It was my turn.

I stepped up and drew my sword. Gustus lifted his head as I approached. As I placed my sword inches away from his body, I looked up slightly to meet his eyes.

"Yu gonplei ste odon. (your fight is over)." And then I pushed the sword forward. Gustus let out a strangled sound as my sword pierced his skin. Blood dripped into puddles on the ground as Gustus slumped forward.

Dead.

The crowd was silent for a split second, and then the first few people in the front door bent. They went down on one knee and bowed their head. Like a ripple, people behind them started to do the same. Person after person bent down, until the entire crowd was on their knees. 

"Gyon op! (rise)" I called, and people did. Then, like nothing had ever happened, people started going about their daily businesss again. Behind me, guards would be untying Gustus' body from the pole and prepare it for burning it tonight.

I didn't look, instead I strode off in the opposite direction. Towards my tent. No one followed me.

When I arrived, my guards did not speak to me an I entered. As soon as I was in my tent, I wanted to leave. I wanted to go back to the Ark, back to Clarke. As much as I wished she could have come with me, I didn't want her to see me like that.

I would leave tomorrow.

"Strisis? (little sister)" Lunas voice came from outside my tent. "Can I some in?"

"Sha. (yes)" I called back. The flap opened and Luna entered. "I didn't see you at the execution." I stated.

"I was there, at the back." She said. "I would have taken a turn, but I didn't want his blood on my knife."

I looked at her, confused.

"What do you mean." Luna laughed.

"I always hated him. He was an idiot. I'm glad he's dead."

I nodded but didn't say anything, reaching for the sheath on my back to take it off.

"You're leaving again, aren't you?" Luna said softly. I looked at her, guilt plain on my face. She sighed. "Lexa, what is so important about this alliance that you have to spen all your time with these skai (sky) people. I fidgeted and tried to come up with a good excuse.

"Well, they're new and I wanted to make sure..."

"It's that girl isn't it?" She suddenly realised. "What was her name again? Tha blonde one that stitched her up."

"Clarke." I answered, fiddling with my sleeve. Luna laughed.

"You and her? Please strisis! (little sister) Why one of them?"

I glared at her and she took a quick step back. 

"Because I love her."