Chapter 9

We puffed into existence on the nice green lawn of my condominium. I scrambled to my feet, nearly tripping and falling when Pitch caught my ankle. I turned back, looking through the feathers at the two shining eyes within. "I'm sorry," he said simply, disappearing and leaving a pile of ash next to him.

I didn't hesitate. Who cared if he felt sorry?

I ran up to the back sliding door, pulling it open with a slow-sounding hissing sound. I ran to my mother's room, flinging the door open. There was a lump on the bed, snoring. I ran over to my mother, shaking her awake. She flopped from side to side, not responding. I shook her again. "Jesus, what the hell is wrong with you?" She asked groggily. She wiped at her eyes, looking tired. Her hair was wild and her face pale in the room.

"Are you alright?" I asked her frantically. I flung the covers off of her body, looking for any mark on her. There was nothing.

"Scott, what's wrong?" She asked, sitting up. I looked her in the eyes. There was obviously nothing wrong with her.

"I-I-it's nothing but a weird dream," I stumbled on my words, putting my hand on her face and letting go a small amount of electricity. Her eyes rolled back into her head. My heart was pounding as I put the blankets back over her. Who could Blanch have been talking about if it wasn't my mom? I didn't really love anyone else.

I thought for a second, not having the slightest clue. Then the thought dawned on me.

Oh.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

[WILL'S POV]

I sat on my bed, staring at the iPad. I felt smart. I had hooked up my iPad to my iPod through FaceTime, and now I was playing the Xbox downstairs from up here, with a giant mix of popcorn, munchies, and sugar in a bowl laying on my stomach. Scott said I was unhealthy. That was bullshit. I was as healthy as a horse—on steroids.

I stared at the screen, playing and moving the Xbox controller in my hand. I kept going, and finally, oh god finally, I beat my little brother. I heard him wail from downstairs and smiled. "Maybe you should have not challenged me!" I shouted down there. I laughed and grabbed a handful of the heart-attack-inducing mix of calories and shoved them sloppily in my mouth. I chewed slowly, wondering what I would do next. Maybe I should call and bug Scott. That would be fun.

I reached for another handful of junk when all the lights went out. I sat there, the only light coming from the window in my room. It gave a general definition of where everything was. "If you shut down the power again," I muttered angrily, "You'll have hell to pay, Eric." I cursed my little brother.

I tromped down the stairs and walked into the living room. "Eric?" I asked.

"Right here," he said. He was sitting on the couch.

I jerked my head towards the breaker box in the basement. It wasn't like he could see me that well anyway. "Did you shut down the power again?" I could barely see him shake his head. I sighed, turning on my heels and walking over to the door of the basement. "Stay here." I opened the door and descended into the darkness. The stairs bowed under my weight. I heard a slight creak whenever I stepped on a stair that almost echoed in the basement.

Maybe I should lay off the sweets.

My feet hit the cold, hard concrete of the basement floor. I padded over to where the breaker box would be in the black, feeling for the metal box. Pretty soon I found it, and blindly opened it. When I felt the switches, all of them seemed to be on. Hmm.

I closed the box and turned around, smiling. The creepy light in the middle of the basement ceiling flickered on. Yes! The power was back! I walked over to the stairs, about to climb up them when the lightbulb flickered spasmodically.