Chapter 21

Once again the image of the man flashed before my eyes. I shook my head. As I lay there in bed, dressed just in my briefs, it seemed to be the only thing that I was thinking about.

All through the night, I hid my feelings away while I was with Adam, which was easy while the movie was playing. I just couldn't get the image out of my head of his neck twisting so unnaturally. I looked at the alarm clock on my nightstand. It was only 9 pm, and I couldn't fall asleep (not like that was unnatural). I usually stayed up until midnight doing hero work, but I didn't feel like doing anything right now. Not after what happened earlier in the night. I took a glance at the mask that I held in my hands. Should I contact Pitch? Would he even answer if I called? He seemed pretty withdrawn today. Maybe I should at least call him to see if he was O.K.

I slipped the mask on and secretly relished the feel of it on my face. "Call Pitch Black," I said aloud. At first, I thought that nothing had happened, but then a dial tone sounded out of the mask. I waited for a few rings and then heard a familiar voice.

"Hey, Scott," I heard Pitch say. Or Ghram? I couldn't really decide which when I couldn't see if he was being a superhero or not. Probably not. "What's up?"

I hesitated. " I just wanted to talk," I said aloud. My phone buzzed and I saw that Adam had texted me. I set it down and kept talking to Pitch. My heartbeat was fast in my chest and I didn't know why.

There was a pause on the other side of the line. Finally, Pitch answered. "Yeah, sure. What about?" I stared off at my ceiling. I was silent for a bit and then took a shaky breath. Was Pitch having the same problem as me? Or had he gone through this before? I felt tears threaten my eyes and scolded myself.

"It's about the guy at the warehouse, isn't it?" Pitch asked gently. I could barely hear him. I wiped my eyes before the tears could breach my lids and took a shaky breath.

"Yeah," I confirmed, my voice quivering. I looked around my dark room as I waited for his response, savoring for silence. He seemed to be thinking. I took a few more breaths to calm myself. Pitch couldn't hear me cry. I didn't want him to hear or see me cry right now. Or maybe I did? I didn't know.

"Do you want me to come over?" Pitch asked. I bit my lip. Did I? The conversation would really be better in person. Maybe I could see what was wrong with him as well.

"Sure, just let me do something real quick." I flipped the covers off of me and slipped on a shirt. My boxer briefs and a t-shirt would have to do. I switched on the light in the bathroom and removed my mask to look at my face. It was slightly puffy from crying. I decided to leave the mask on after I was done talking to Pitch over the comm link. I went ahead and slipped my lower half back under my comforter. "O.K, you can come over now," I said. Not too long after I said that did I hear a small poof out in the hall.

His silhouette peeked around the doorframe. The darkness was kinda awkward to me, so I glanced at the lamp on my nightstand and flicked it on with minimal effort. It cast a dim light on the room that was a thousand times better than before. He was wearing his mask as well.

I scooched to the side and patted the mattress spot next to me. Pitch was wearing joggers and dirty white sneakers with a plain t-shirt that was kinda baggy. His wings pushed at the fabric and I scrunched my eyebrows. Couldn't he have just done his magic thing and make them disappear into his back like usual? I put my worries aside. Maybe he just wanted to stretch them or whatever. His hair was a clusterfuck of a mess, as usual, but it seemed more...tasteful this time. His hair was gold in the lamplight.

Pitch shuffled over to the other side of the bed and sat down stiffly onto it. I was silent as he adjusted himself to feel comfortable. I felt kinda awkward. Not that this wasn't his first time in my room or anything, but it seemed like it was the first time to me. Maybe the fact that he was conscious this time was a healthy contributor. I thought back to the time when I had kissed him on this bed. I felt my neck grow hot and hoped that Pitch couldn't see it.