Chapter 20

[SCOTT'S POV]

PItch's man was slightly overweight and had a neckbeard. I remembered that he was spitting at Pitch earlier and wondered what he could do. Was it acidic? The warehouse lights flickered a bit in the background, casting an ominous light onto the scene. It didn't help that the light from the bands of fire that surround the group added shadows to the man's face.

"Blanch sent us," the man said. My heart skipped a beat.

"I knew it," I muttered. Who else could it really be? Before anyone could really say anything else, the man spilled his guts.

"I'm not really a bad guy, I swear. I just needed the money, man! I really wanted to just get the hard drive and give it to him and get over it. I didn't think I'd run into all the superheroes in the city," he was talking at a rapid-fire pace and wouldn't stop. "I'm just late on my rent for the month and couldn't think of anything to do and pleasedonthurtmeimjustanormalguy." Pitch held up one of his hands and the guy quieted.

"There's no need to rush," He glanced at Nitroa, Fusion and I before continuing. "Do you know why he asked you to get the drive?" The man shook his head and Pitch pressed his lips tightly together. He swiped his hand a little bit and the ropes of fire disappeared around the guy. I tensed up and put my hands out defensively.

"Pitch, what are you doing?!" I asked. Bot Fusion Storm and Nitroa had bristled as well. The man sat still, looking up at Pitch.

"Stay still, or I'll confine you again," Pitch firmly stated. The man nodded. "How did you know where we were?" He questioned.

The man took a calming breath before he answered. "We were tipped off about your location. They didn't tell us how they got the information, but I'd guess that it was a mole or a tracking device."

"You honestly expect that one of us would be a mole?" Fusion clipped. "Come on, how do you think we can believe that?" Pitch thought for a moment. I could see the gears running in his mind.

"No, I don't think so," He put his chin on his knuckles as he thought. "But I do think that a tracking device is possible," He suggested. I felt a stab at my heart. Could one of us have a tracking device in our suits? If so, then where? How? Who could have put it there? My suit was brand new, so Blanch couldn't have put it there. Right? I wouldn't be able to stifle any guilt if I were the person to have a tracking device attached somewhere on my body.

Before Pitch could say anything or the man could do anything, the woman tied up next to him shifted a bit. I trained my eye on her and looked at the others to see if they noticed. None of them did. Both Fusion and Nitroa were too focused on the man and Pitch. Pitch directed another question at the man. I didn't hear. I saw the woman open her eyes a bit, probably in an attempt to be sly. I turned to Pitch, slightly worried at what I had seen her do before, moving things without touching them and the likes.

"Hey Pitch, Dark Pheonix chick over here seems to be stirr-" I started before my mouth stopped working. I tried to bring my hands up to my lips, but they weren't working either. I was completely immobilized. Pitch looked at me strangely for a moment before registering that I wasn't able to move. He immediately tightened the hold of the ropes around the woman. She shouted out in pain and suddenly I was able to move again. I gasped for air and dodged out of the woman's eyesight as soon as I could. I ended up beside Pitch.

The man quickly scooted away from her. I kept a wary eye on him. I still didn't think that I could trust him, whoever he was. "D-d-don't let her see you; she'll be able to take control of you if she does," he stuttered. Almost as soon as he was done with his sentence did she whip her head around to look at not Pitch, Nitroa, or I, but him. His neck jerked to the side and snapped sickeningly. His head fell to rest on his collarbone as drool seeped out, burning a hole in his shirt. I didn't register what happened before she was up and on her feet. The man I fought floated beside her, still unconscious and somewhat ethereal. She sneered and said in a snarky voice, "We know where you are now," Before jumping up in the air and blasting a hole in the ceiling.