Chapter 19

[SCOTT'S POV]

"Good morninnnngg," a soft voice whispered as I dreamt. I slowly woke up to a hand gently caressing my forehead and face. I smiled up at my mother and her soft, brown eyes.

"Good morning Sleeping Beauty," She smiled. The skin on the outside of her eyes crinkled. "I had the night off so I can finally drive you to school for once, what do you say?"

I smiled groggily and nodded. "Get up, then," she stood up from her crouch beside my bed, "Breakfast is nearly done."

She left the room without making a sound. I peeked towards the window from below my arm, seeing that little light came through. It was still early, maybe 6:00 even. I got out of bed and hopped in the shower.

I came out of my room with a wet head and sat at the table. I put my fist up to my cheek and leaned on it as I watched my mother prepare some waffles. She went back and forth from opposing countertops, whisking and putting together some eggs and link sausage while the timer ticked away on the waffle maker. Soft light from the sunrise outside began to pour in from the kitchen window, illuminating dust motes in the air and the brown highlights of my mother's hair.

"So," she started, sliding some eggs and sausage on two plates right as the timer went off on the waffle. She flipped over the waffle maker and opened it up, revealing a toasty brown and perfectly done waffle. She gently pried it out of the waffle maker and split it between the two trays.

"Yes?" I patiently waited while she grabbed syrup and butter out of the fridge and set it on the table, along with orange juice and milk. She slid one plate over to me and another on the seat next to me.

"I've been watching the news lately," She continued. She sat down at the table and passed a fork and a knife over to me, along with a cup. I froze. Had she seen me? I wasn't scared of her thinking that I was a superhero--that was next to impossible. But I was a little bit nervous about her knowing about the photos of me on the news. I forced a poker face on and poured myself some milk.

"And?" I questioned ambiguously. I began to cut up my eggs into bite-sized portions. My mother did the same. She put a piece of egg and waffles into her mouth and waved her fork in my face.

"Number 1: Did you think that you could get around me knowing that you were on tv? I watch ET, you know!!" She said this all through the food in her mouth. I shyly made eye contact with her. So she saw the photos. She swallowed. "I'm not mad at you," she set her fork down and looked at me, "But why didn't you tell me?! Are you running around with Superheroes?!?"

I sat there for a moment and let my food grow cold. "No, Ma, he really just saved me from getting hit by a car it's no big dea-" She cut me off.

"You almost got hit by a car, Scott?!" She shrieked. I let my fork drop onto my plate and put my head in my hands as my mom rambled on about looking both ways before I cross the street. If only I could tell you the truth, I thought.

"-and most of all, people could know our address anytime now!" She threw her hands in the air. "I'm just a nurse, Scott!" She scolded. "I don't want the paparazzi showing up at my door asking for you! All this because you didn't look both ways before crossing the road!" I looked down at my plate, feeling ashamed. My mother must have taken notice because she grabbed my hands that were in my lap and squeezed. "Look," she sounded more calm, "Whatever happens in the end, it'll be OK. Don't forget," She let go and started putting food back into her mouth again. I looked back up. "I love you," She winked and stifled a smile around a mouthful of food. I smiled back and started eating again.

She continued. "Number two: I had last night off, so this time I noticed that you came home late. What was it, 11:00? What were you doing?" This time she sounded less concerned and more disappointed. Since I was still living at home, I still had to ask her to go out and do things, especially if they happened late.