Chapter 24

[SCOTT'S POV]

I didn't know that fell asleep until I woke up to the buzzing of the mask. It made a harsh sound on the wood of the nightstand.

I scratched for it and put it on my face. Was it Pitch?

"Hello?" I asked, not hiding my urgency. I scrubbed my knuckles into my eyelids to get the sleep out. It was dark outside, which probably meant that my mom had already left for work. The room was dimly lit from the orange street lamps out in the parking lot.

"Hey Scott, it's Nitroa." I sagged when I heard the voice on the other side. Why did I want it to be Pitch? It wasn't like he was the most pleased with me at the moment.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, trying to keep the glum tone out of my voice. I heard some wind in the microphone.

"Pitch found a meeting place for all of us for the time being. We're gonna meet soon," The wind in the mic was louder for a second and then abruptly stopped. "I'm here."

I looked outside my window at a shadow that waved. I stood up. "Do I need to wear my suit?" I asked. I saw her shake her head. She motioned to roll up the window. I trotted over to the window and hefted it up. It was chilly outside and the air seeped through my window and settled on the ground. I could feel it on my feet, making goosebumps appear on my skin.

"It's probably the best that you don't. You might have other trackers. Just bring your mask," My shoulders slumped slightly. They didn't trust me now. "Come outside."

I slipped some shoes and a hoodie on and left my room. The apartment was silent and my footsteps across tile made soft hissing sounds. When I opened the door Nitroa was waiting for me. "Where is the meeting place?" I asked. I closed the door behind me and pulled my hoodie closer to my body.

"I'm taking you there; you've never been," Nitroa zipped behind me and placed her forearm vertically on my back. She cradled my head with her hand. I didn't have time to ask her what she was doing before wind ripped at my body I felt my skin pull back like a gigantic blowdryer was focused on my face. Lights raced by me in many different colors, and just a few seconds after the wind started it stopped again. I heaved forward slightly and would have fallen flat on my face if Nitroa didn't grab my hood. I righted myself and blinked the stars out of my eyes. We were standing outside an apartment door. It was numbered 2A.

Before Nitroa could knock the door swung open to Fusion. He looked a little paranoid. His eyes darted left and right. We were motioned inside to a small studio apartment. There was a kitchenette in the corner with a fridge, sink, counter and a two-person table. There was a messy full-sized bed perched in the other corner with clothes strewn about it. A closed door lead to what I assumed was a bathroom. At the foot of the bed was a loveseat couch which faced a small living room with a lamp and a little flat-screen tv. It seemed like a cozy apartment to have. . .for one person.

I collapsed onto the couch. My head was swimming. Was this how Nitroa felt whenever she traveled? How could she get used to this? "Where are we?" I groggily asked. Nitroa plopped down on the cushion next to me. I looked over the room once more. A white, grease-stained t-shirt was draped over the armrest of the couch.

"Pitch's place," Nitroa replied. I felt anxiety grow in my chest like a slingshot ready to be released. The door that lead to the bathroom opened. We all swiveled our heads to get a good view of Pitch. He was wearing a tight white shirt with grease stains on it just like the one on the armrest. He was wearing sweats and no shoes. He avoided eye contact with me as he walked in front of the loveseat and motioned for Fusion to sit down. Fusion squeezed between Nitroa and me, making the seating arrangement uncomfortable.