Chapter 25

[SCOTT'S POV]

We were all camped across the street from an empty house, clad in our super suits and barely visible to passersby. A For Sale sign was pushed into the brown and crusty lawn of the house. Outside was parked a black Ford Impala.

Adam's car.

We had agreed to ambush Adam on Saturday, a few days after we all met at Pitch's house. Nitroa had retrieved the listed address at the school and we formulated a plan. All four of us would sneak in there. If Adam happened to be in there, Nitroa, Pitch and I would attack Adam head-on while Fusion knocked him out. I went over the plan in my head. It was simple. I glanced over at Pitch. He was crouched on the other side of the group. His wings were close to his back, twitching every so often. The bandage that I had given him had been taken off now. He caught me staring at him, which incited a quick and nonchalant look back to the house.

The day was turning to a windy dusk. Orange and purple leaves skittered down the road on invisible cuffs of wind. I examined the house. It looked empty, but I could sense electricity there. There were lights on in the basement. I could barely sense the outline of Adam's bodily electricity. I leaned over to Nitroa, who was crouched next to me.

"He's in the basement," I whispered. She relayed the information to Fusion. When the time was right I grabbed Nitroa's hand and Pitch grabbed Fusion's and we all teleported to the backyard of the house. There was an empty swimming pool with layers of gunk on the bottom positioned in the middle of the yard. Empty flower beds fanned out from a grey-bricked patio. I wrinkled my nose at the nasty substance inside the pool. Pitch took the lead and walked towards a sliding-glass door that led to the inside of the house. He tested to see if it was unlocked, which it was. He turned around and nodded at me.

I took the cue and closed my eyes. With the slightest bit of focus, I shut off the power in the house. Just as I had done that I nodded back to Pitch. He snapped his fingers and a small flame came to be. We shifted our position into a line with Fusion in last and filed into the house. I focused and produced a little blue ball of electricity in the palm of my hand to light the way. Adam was tensing downstairs. We walked through empty rooms and bare hallways until we got to the top of a dark staircase without a sound.

Pitch stopped and I bumped into him. "What's wrong?" I whispered. The combined red and blue lights from both of us flickered and dimly illuminated the staircase.

"Can you sense it?" Pitch hissed. He extinguished his fire in frustration. "He's gone! There's no more body heat down there!" I closed my eyes and reached out with my mind. He was right. Adam wasn't there anymore!

"Shit!" I exclaimed. Nitroa punched me in the arm.

"Shut up!" She said. I rolled my eyes and flicked the electricity back on. The bottom of the stairs flickered into view.

"It's no use, he escaped somehow!" I reported with exasperation. Pitch stood there at the top of the stairs, motionless. I extinguished my light and slid past him. When I got to the bottom of the stairs a creepy sight met my eyes. I could hear the rest of them following me.

Fluorescent lights blinked on the ceiling. On one end of the basement, there was a wide mahogany desk filled with a variety of electronics and tools. I walked over and inspected them. One machine had a claw. Another looked like the tracking device that was in my suit. I inspected a tiny computer chip no bigger than my pinky fingernail through a magnifying glass bigger than my face. I looked around at the rest of the basement. There was another desk against the far wall with an air mattress and a blanket lying next to it. The rest of the basement was barren. The floor and walls were concrete and dull looking. My breath condensed in the chill of the underground air.

Scott Mason: Gay Superhero (boyxboy)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें