8. When You Were Mine

There is nothing like you and me and you know it.

Camila's real Tweet / 29 January 2014

I know it.

Lauren's real Tweet / 29 January 2014

Lauren's POV

"Yes, yes! I told you, in ten minutes I'll be there! Okay, Jonathan. Yes, I'll be smiling!" I hung up the phone with my throbbing head asking for more paracetamol.

Since I had woken up everything went wrong. The previous night, I had made the mistake of calling Keana again. It was the only way of stopping thinking Camila's image of the Iheartradio Music Awards. So I ended up getting drunk with Keana. We were so wasted that we fell asleep with our clothes on the bed. It was such a heavy sleep that if it wasn't for the manager coming to my house, to wake me up, I would have missed my flight to Chicago. The rest of the girls were already there while I was asleep. Even the universe didn't want me to go.

"Chicago Recording Company," I muttered as I got in the taxi, hiding my eyes with my black Wayfarer Ray-Ban sunglasses. The driver checked me through the mirror and his eyes widened when he recognised me. Thankfully, he didn't say a word during the drive. I was already 3 hours late for the rehearsals.

I couldn't get rid of the feeling of a knot in my throat. The day I had been avoiding even thinking, had come. I was going to meet them, especially her. I didn't know how I should behave. Whether, act as if nothing happened, or smile like an idiot showing that I have been behind whatever happened between us. I was so sure that I had moved on, despite the past 3 weeks I felt my stomach upset, thinking of the way she would treat me. But maybe she didn't even remember our little story. Her life seemed so perfect now, with her great career and the successful lawyer of her heart.

My thoughts were so intense that I didn't even realise how the time passed and I was already out of the studio. As I got out of the taxi, my body felt numb. Jonathan told me to look positive and happy. However, it was the least I could do at that moment. I mechanically walked to the entrance. The closer I got the heavier each step felt. For a moment I thought of turning my back and running away, but my hand was already pulling the door handle.

The receptionist immediately smiled at me and I reciprocated awkwardly. With a gesture, she showed me where I should go and my body walked me there, while my soul screamed to leave. The high-waisted black skirt I wore, felt suffocating. 'Focus Lauren. It's over and you don't care anymore.' I walked to the rehearsals studio and I heard voices and laughs like in the past when our energy could uplift everyone.

My hand grabbed the doorknob, feeling light-headed, and on the verge of passing out. But before I pull the door, someone pushed the door from inside, and then I felt someone's body crashing against mine, making me take a step back. All I heard was a phone falling and the sound of the screen, crashing. I kept staring at the broken phone through my sunglasses, avoiding seeing the person before me. Like I knew it.

"I'm sorry." Sounded almost like a whisper from my lips, and I immediately picked up the phone when I faced the person before me, I felt my heart stop.

Camila before me was pale and her lips slightly parted. She blinked for a moment trying to come around.

"Laureeen!" A shriek sounded from the room I recognised Normani, but neither of us broke eye contact. "You're here!" Her voice sounded even louder and I knew she was right beside me. Camila averted her eyes from me and with it took my entire strength to talk to the girl.