four - the call

ISLA'S POV

I feel like I'm being lied to. There's absolutely NO WAY that this fine ass man knew me, "admired me," and took my number. At least that's what I thought until my phone began to ring. No caller ID. No. No. No. I prepare myself to speak with Austin Butler by taking a few deep breaths before I press answer.

"Hello, your car insurance policy has expired. please renew by cli-" I hang up the phone. I really just got myself psyched up to talk to Austin freaking Butler and it was a spam call. Kill me. I seem so desperate right now.

The truth is, I am kind of desperate. The last time I was in a relationship was almost two years ago. I broke off a two year long relationship because he didn't treat me well, and everyone around me started pointing it out. My dad was never a big fan of my ex, Christopher. but i realized there was a problem when Olivia would point out how badly he treated me. Chris flirted with other girls while I was standing right there and constantly drank even though it made him do questionable things. He never hurt me, not physically at least, but I hit my breaking point when he didn't show up to the 'Minor' EP release party.

Chris knew how important it was to me and I had invited pretty much everyone special to me, but he couldn't bother to show up. He was at a party and was so hungover the next morning I thought that I couldn't even be mad, so I spent the day of my first EP release taking care of him. My mom explained how I shouldn't have to spend my happiest days taking care of someone who acted like a baby and I shouldn't have to do that until I have real children. I broke up with him. but that wasn't the part that hurt.

He didn't even seem to care that I broke up with him. His response was "K." then not even a day after, he posted instagram stories with other girls. I felt so stupid to believe he would even care about me and that I was the only one. I felt so useless.

Ever since then, I've avoided every blind date, romantic situation, or anything of the sort. I'm scared that if I get involved with someone else I'll just get broken again and I've finally started to love myself for who I am. I'm so deep in my thoughts of how scary a new relationship would be that I don't even notice another call coming through.

I tap the answer button, hoping I'm not going to be talking to another telemarketer. "hello?"

I hear a deep, nervous voice after the man clears his throat. "Ummm, hello? This is Austin Butler. Is this Isla?"

Shit.